faithful and discreet slave no longer refers to self as "prophet" (or "prophet class")?

by Magnum 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Magnum
    Magnum

The FDS used to refer to itself as being a prophet or prophet class. It used to call itself "the Ezekiel class", "the Jeremiah class", etc. Didn't it stop doing that? If so, it seems to me that, as usual, doing so was reactive rather than proactive. I think the JW leaders knew that if the org continued to refer to the slave as being a prophet, then it would be easier for opponents to attack it with De 18:18-22 for its long history of failed predictions. It would also help to alleviate questions/doubts from believing JWs concerning the same passage. They could say "Well, the FDS isn't a prophet."

Any thoughts or insights? Is it true that the org no longer refers to the FDS as a prophet or prophet class?

[Seems like I might have read something about that on JWfacts, but don't have time to check right now.]

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Indeed a reactive response.

They've purposely avoided referring to themselves as prophet-like for some decades now and it seems to have worked, to a certain extent, in keeping JWs from doubting. In my conversations with random JW apologists I've found that they usually disregard anything published pre-2000 as "ancient" and not really relevant to today's understanding anyways.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Because the more they refer to themselves as a prophet, the more likely some JWs will notice the scripture about what makes a false prophet, at Deut. 18: 20-22:

“‘If any prophet presumptuously speaks a word in my name that I did not command him to speak or speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. However, you may say in your heart: “How will we know that Jehovah has not spoken the word?” When the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word is not fulfilled or does not come true, then Jehovah did not speak that word. The prophet spoke it presumptuously. You should not fear him.’

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The singular, yet collective “Slave” is the only theological construct in history to claim to speak for GOD, yet deny any inspiration from said deity, or claim with pride to be a prophet o said deity.

It’s all quite strange, almost as if the “Slave” has an army of Lawyers helping them choose the correct, legalistic terminology to minimize liability..🤔

DD

• sir82
    sir82

It’s all quite strange, almost as if the “Slave” has an army of Lawyers helping them choose the correct, legalistic terminology to minimize liability.

It's a great gig - all the perks of being pope with none of the work or responsibility. I'm surprised more religious power-hungry charlatans don't model themselves after the GB.

• minimus
    minimus

I would like to know if any of the prophecies that have been written by the watchtower society from the 1950s onword apply any longer to the slave class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit