Oldest Person Alive

by bemused 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bemused
    bemused

Following the death of Susannah Jones of the US on 12 May 2016, the oldest person alive today is Emma Morano of Italy.

Many years ago I remember my recently converted relative desperately trying to convince me that I too should become a Witness because the world was certain to end before the last person who was 15 or older at the outbreak of the First World War had passed away, so time was short if I was to have any hope of reaching paradise etc etc.

I didn't become a Witness and, although I know that JW doctrine has changed since then, it's interesting to note that the late Ms Jones was born on 6 July 1899 so had just reached 15 when WW1 started on 28 July 1914; Ms Morano was born on 29 November 1914 so was only 14 at the outbreak of war. There is no one living who was 15 or older at the beginning of WW1. I wonder if my relative and other zealous Witnesses from that period ever reflect on the nonsense they were preaching then?

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I always look to see how old the oldest person is. I remember reading [in the bible] that God set 120 years as the maximum human life span.

As far as witnesses feeling ignorant about past teachings, it doesn't happen until [or unless] they learn ttatt

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I wonder if my relative and other zealous Witnesses from that period ever reflect on the nonsense they were preaching then?

No.

Not if they're still busy drinking the Koolaid.

Doc

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    You mean it's not Keith Richards?
  • prologos
    prologos
    The 120 year upper limit for our organ's health is not going to solve the wt's generation problem, normal, or not = anointed overlapping, because for the generation members to survive they have to be baptized, loyal , so even if they concentrate on the senior homes, where are the supercentenarian numbers?
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

My family would reply something like this

" It was what Jehovah wanted us to believe at the time. He knows his timing but he knows what is best for us and it was best for us to believe that , otherwise we would never have worked hard in the ministry. Just look at the results today! What a good thing we were kept going......it won't be long now!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit