Place your bets

by Yomama 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Yomama
    Yomama
    Belgium case will watchtower appeal there shunning case. Or will they pay fine an accept defeat.
  • mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Hands down appeal. They have to try to over turn every verdict.

• Steel
    Steel

I think cases like this are pointless and only serve to re-enforce the persecution complex.

I can't force people to be kind to each other.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

They will appeal this all the way to the EC. The problem in Europe is that these sorts of cases are simply not punitive enough. They break the law of the land, but any EU corporation could pay EU fines indefinitely.

• Yomama
    Yomama

I think they will pay fine and hope it goes away.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

The WTS will go to any length, do anything and everything in its power, to fulfill its primary objective, its principal reason for existence, its very raison d'etre...

To preach the good news of Jehovah's Kingdom.

No, wait, that's not it.

To protect its corporate assets and to avoid the payment of as much as one cent in taxes to any entity.

Appeal, appeal, appeal. They will fight to the figurative death, expend all their resources, thousands of hours and the equivalent of millions of dollars in legal fees, to avoid paying any tax.

And to JWs living in poverty due to COVID-19, warfare, recession, etc.? "Oh, we love you brothers VERY MUCH, you are always in our prayers, Jehovah will provide, but hey, not us."

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think they have already indicated that they will appeal the Belgique Verdict. How far they are prepared to take Appeals remains to be seen, but if they wanted , they could go all the way to the European Court.

Personally I would like to see them do so, and to LOSE ! This would certainly be a great step forward in getting the Shunning done away with !

FFGhost the case in Belgium was about Shunning, not about Tax, but you are right, they normally fight all the way to try not to pay Compensation or Tax. And of course maybe a Class Action for compensation by those recently Shunned in Belgium may be possible if they lose their Case. If they are arrogant enough to take it to the European Court, and do lose, the Compensation claims will flow in from all E.U Countries, if such a claim would work.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

I vote for appeal. are there any prizes on offer?

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    the case in Belgium was about Shunning, not about Tax

In my best WT voice:

"Yes, but by extension, it also applies to the payment of fines".

You are of course correct, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit