Long article, but it explains a lot of things

by JeffT 8 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

I found this the other day, and read it last night. I think it explains a lot of what is going on in both American politics and many religions around the world.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/03/this-article-wont-change-your-mind/519093/?utm_source=feed

• jp1692
    jp1692

That's a very thought-provoking read, at least for me!

thanks for sharing.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

I agree with jp, very thought-provoking.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I liked this article. It'll take another read-through, but it's very interesting.

• longgone
    longgone

Thanks for this, definitely worth reading!

• Half banana
    Half banana
    “Having social support, from an evolutionary standpoint, is far more important than knowing the truth.”

Then there is the mention of the "mental gymnastics" needed by believers to maintain the irrational premise for their being. . . and that is the whole thrust of WT literature, relentlessly showering the flock with propaganda to keep them within the social club.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The Article succinctly put one reason why people ignore and deny Facts and Truth :

"........because those beliefs were tethered to a group they belonged to, a group that was deeply important to their lives and their sense of self."

• Giordano
    Giordano

Excellent Share JeffT! It really helped me see what factors matter most to various groups of people. It's more tribal then factual then I realized.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I didn't read the article. I'm just posting this to increment my number of posts by one.

[selah]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit