NY Blackout Experience

by why144000 3 Replies latest jw friends

• why144000
    why144000

My sis sent me this

BLACKOUT 2003:

I work on 34th st right next to the Empire State Building and not far from Times Sq. So when the lights went out (they didn't go out completely but went "down" and were flickering) I thought it was just our building. But when no one's cell phones would work that was it! Me and 2 other female coworkers left. We went outside and there were SO many people walking around. Traffic was at a standstill because the lights weren't on, which is bad since that area is SO congested normally anyway. We realized the trains weren't working, NOTHING was working. So (still not knowing what happened) and, yes I was freaking out a bit, I said a quick prayer for Jehovah to keep me and the other witnesses, who were stuck in this, safe, and to keep me calm, and I decided to walk home. I walked to my coworker's apartment a few blocks away and the 3 of us walked up the 8 flights of stairs using our cell phones lights and my palm pilot light which I had to keep tapping to keep working. I called my mom once we got upstairs since the land lines were working and told her I was going to try and walk to Bethel since I realized that I would be walking through very bad areas in darkness if I tried to reach home before dark. I left the building (once again using my palm), put my hair in a ponytail and just started walking downtown. Now any NYorker can tell you. 34th ST to Bethel is FAR, and I was in a skirt and flip flops which is basically like walking barefoot but I think Jehovah really calmed me and after about 45th, I knew what the problem was (not terrorist) and I just kept walking downtown. I guess I just knew where I had to go and I wasn't stopping. I must say, most NYorkers handled it pretty well. Many pedestrians were volunteering to work as cross guards since the lights were out and the traffic was insane. EVERYONE was walking toward the same place (the bridges downtown) so that made it easier too. I've heard stories about stores hiking up the prices of water and food but the one I went to didn't and many places were giving things away. One sporting goods store gave away a ton of sneakers. But anyway, I walked downtown, got a bit lost in Chinatown but made my way to the Brooklyn Bridge. Once I got on it, I had to climb a gate in my skirt, but I made it! Halfway through the bridge everyone realized the bridge was shaking. It was hard walking on the walkway, that's how bad it was swaying. I guess it wasn't built for that kind of traffic.....I think the balance was off too. So that unnerved me a bit as you can imagine, but once I saw the Watchtower sign on the Brooklyn side, I was so relieved. I walked to the 124 building, called a friend who took me to the air conditioned infirmary and gave me cold water (they have generators). From there we called a Bethelite couple from my hall and asked if they could drive me home. Nathan walked me to the other building which was a little distance and it was BLACK outside......you have to understand, for a city goer, it was SOOOOO eerie for there to be NO light in the street. This was the cool thing: the ONLY buildings with light were Bethel buildings. As me and Nathan walked down the street, this guy stops us and is like "What's up with THAT?" pointing at our beautiful lit Towers Building. Nathan says "Mmmm, they must just have generators" but I wanted to tell him "We have Jehovah's spirit!" It felt like Egypt when that plague of darkness fell. We got to the Sands building which is right at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge so that meant that a TON of people were trying to get inside the only lit building. There were Bethelites volunteering to help stranded people, not just witnesses. They were giving away cold water, juice and fruit. Had an EMS on hand and a table with tracts inviting people to please take one. It was such a beautiful thing to see. My friends, Joe and Marla, came downstairs to pick me up and their smiling faces were beautiful to behold. I was exhausted, sweaty, dusty and just plain out of it. But they took me upstairs to their room, gave me scented soap and a soft towel to clean my feet and then had me sit in their AC room with my feet up until they could figure out where I could stay. Some of the Bethelites with double rooms (they usually all just have one) volunteered their rooms and I got to stay with a VERY sweet sister. She put me and another stranded sister up and it was wonderful. I took a shower and slept in a nice comfortable bed. I never felt so loved. The next morning I got up for morning worship (even though I only slept a short while), and Bethel announced that everyone had the day off so there was much rejoicing!! I took the bus home, took a shower and slept for 4 hours like the dead. Got up, rented movies and spent the evening with my family. I will tell you this, I have never been able to experience firsthand the brothers help like that. If you ever have, its amazing. The last thing that went through my head that night before I fell asleep and after I thanked Jehovah through prayer was there is NOTHING like Jehovah's organization!!!!!

• onacruse
    onacruse
    and a table with tracts inviting people to please take one.

Never miss an opportunity.

I said a quick prayer for Jehovah to keep me and the other witnesses, who were stuck in this, safe, and to keep me calm...I must say, most NYorkers handled it pretty well.

So who were all those 'worldly' NYorkers praying to, so that they were able to handle things so well?

Never mind that billions of people do kind things for others simply because they want to.

These are the kinds of 'experiences' that I used to enjoy reading...now they strike me as so incredibly superficial.

Craig

• SYN
    SYN

and Bethel announced that everyone had the day off so there was much rejoicing!!

If I'd been a Bethelite, I'd've rejoiced too!

• greven
    greven

This person is incredibly braindead! Lights went down, and this person sees stores giving away stuff people helping eachother get past streets etc and only talks about how wonderful the brothers were! When I saw it on the news my confidence in humanity itself was restored a little bit: there were no riots or plunder as far as I heard, and people tended to help eachother. And those folks are gonna be destroyed when the big A comes?! Also a good question: which of these people mentioned in this experience use the risen situation to their own benefit? Who are trying to misuse the sense of insecurity people have in such a situation? BARF!!

Greven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit