Trump vows to repeal limits on churches

by StarTrekAngel 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I know the JWs would not necessarily take advantage of this (or may be they would) but certainly, they will spin it off somehow.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/religious-looking-trump-protections-081209487--politics.html

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

The rule that he is talking about is the Johnson Rule. It basically said that the IRS can fine or revoke a non-profit status if non-profits, especially churches engage in active political work. That would be trying to promote one candidate over another or encouraging their members to vote for a specific person.

Technically, Trump can't remove the rule, that would take Congress, but he can direct the IRS not to enforce that rule.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I can see the next election being heavily influenced by pastors. Even more so than they already are.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Next election? We'll be lucky.

• sir82
    sir82

LOL.

Last week he spoke of his intention to defund a program that the US doesn't fund:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/01/25/trump_might_be_trying_to_defund_organizations_we_re_not_even_funding.html

This week, he is saying he will "destroy" a law that he completely misunderstands:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/02/02/trump_says_he_ll_destroy_johnson_amendment.html

I read or heard that this administration is comparable to one of those guys who calls into sports-talk radio suddenly becoming an NFL owner.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

It would be interesting to see what happens when mosques begin pushing their political agendas.

• sir82
    sir82

It would be interesting to see what happens when mosques begin pushing their political agendas.

Which is probably why it won't happen.

As usual, Trump is spewing out his uninformed opinions without stopping 30 seconds to consider the consequences of what would happen if he so acted.

Once someone musters up the courage to say "well, if you do that, then someone might use that new freedom to endorse someone who is not you", he'll suddenly change his mind.

• bohm
    bohm

Sir82: A joke I saw on twitter was that they should just build a fake oval office and do a Truman show on him. Heck, for that I would don a MAGA hat once a year and meet up in DC to celebrate that he had nuked Narnia.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

They forget that letting churches politic like individuals can work both ways. Yes, there are a lot of super conservatives, Republican-leaning protestant churches that have managed to quietly promote certain candidates and political parties, but there are even more that would promote more liberal fair-play for all positions.

If they want to see black and predominately liberal churches hit the streets and claim that God supports a certain candidate - good luck. Think of the Jewish synagogues and Islamic temples that are very political, but must take it outside their temples and can not use church funds to promote a party or a candidate - suddenly released to be as active as they wish.

The not so secret that the facts are that churches have surreptitiously financed and promoted certain favored candidates for a long time. There is a reason that some whole areas go for a certain candidate only because he claims to be a Christian (and his opponent is likely one too), but in real life breaks every commandment and then some so hallowed by the ruling area church.

Money, religion, and politics have been very comfortable bedfellows for a long time. The difference now is that they are not even trying to hide the fact that clergymen break the law (both Democratic and Republican of all churches) every single chance they get..

Organizations like the American Civil Liberties Union and Americans for Separation of Church and State can never take a breath anymore. Everywhere from local city councils to state houses and Congress . are constantly falling back and ignoring their oaths of office, promoting (mostly Protestant) Christian ministers ahead of all other beliefs to lead prayers and other functions in purely political arenas.

JV

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

The more openly that religious orgs participate in politics, the more they make themselves vulnerable to getting their tax-exempt-ness removed. I hope.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit