Who, when and whu

by dogisgod 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dogisgod
    dogisgod
    My mother became a witness right after I was born. 1951. I was indoctrinated from that time forward for 50 yrs. During that time I did not hear anything about the 2 witness rule as applied to child molestation. This had to start somewhere. When did this become a doctrine?
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

For 50 years, you must not have been paying "more than the usual attention" at the meetings and assemblies.

They based all their decisions regarding accusations of wrongdoing on

2 Corinthians 13:1

Matthew 18:16

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

The two witness rule without a confession was put into practice on many so called sins or bad social behavior, not just child sexual abuse.

• wolverines
    wolverines

It even applies to murder. I have heard of some cases. Its been around since the 50s that I know of.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I was a JW for 32 years since 1960 and I have always understood the 2 witness rule applied to any and all wrongdoing

And in WT speak child molestation as far as I can remember was never viewed as a crime but as a sin.

And as far as the world was concerned no sins (crimes) were ever committed in Gods true organization.

• tiki
    tiki

Anything worthy of a judicial committe always was based on that Talmudic rule...2 witnesses. It even takes precedence over Jesus instruction to individually go to your brother and lay bare the sin and work it out one on one.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Well. I guess I wasn’t paying attention or I just never connected it to child rape. I understood it as applied to other things. I’m also thinking crime vs sin. I’m sure it must have been going on but was kept very quiet. That rape/molestation being a sin and not a crime. As a sin....it is just missing the mark...a natural human failing of imperfection. That’s pretty outrageous. It is in keeping with patriarchal thinking. So, it’s been applied since the 50s? So would that be Knor or b4. When did they start making the so called “elder” training. Have there always been secret teachings like for the congregation overseers? It boggles the mind that the parents of a child victim would put up with that.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

There is that “thing” about who knows what. If a young sister got pregnant she would be disfellowshipped because it became obvious however, the young brother wasn’t if no one knew it was him. Maybe he would get a private disapline. I always thought that wasn’t right.

It just is incredulous to me that a brother could rape/molest a child and nothing will happen to him yet the child would be messed up for life. Amazing. And they thought that was Gods will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit