Warning bells! Any organization that promotes spying or reporting on one another should raise concerns!

by stuckinarut2 8 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

We all know that the society promotes a culture of reporting on one another to the elders for any breach of WT policy (Not actual crimes - just breaking of WT rules)

Many here have been "caught" researching facts about the society on sites such as this one.

Surely that should raise alarm bells?? Only high control cult-like groups operate like that!

Such inappropriate behaviour is not acceptable.

The resulting actions by "elders" who pry into one's personal business is plain wrong.

How does a group exist when there is such paranoia and suspicion amongst one another over personal matters such as what someone researches?

• aboveusonlysky
    aboveusonlysky

In a word fear

The organization gives elders the power to be detective, jury and judge in people's private lives and this inevitably leads to abuse. Many publishers are willing to put others down to either climb the ladder or just make themselves feel better because the reality is that very few can live up to the org's rules and as a result feel worthless.

Also many elders are all too willing to scapegoat publishers because they're terrified of losing their position.

In my opinion many congregations are one big fear factory.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I am always amazed at how easily people can be pressured to check their common sense at the door when engaged in religious beliefs.

I remember reading about a former Mormon who attended BYU [a very legit Mormon University] and incorporated laws of evidence during his studies, but totally disregarded these disciplined guidelines while engaged in his faith.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

They also "check their MORALS at the door" these High Control Cult-like groups, whenever their group is involved.

Hence the willingness to not report crime, and to spy on fellow members, even family, and then report them to the Thought Police (Elders).

Even when I was a highly active JW there is no way I would run to the Elders and report someone, a crime I would report straight to the Police, if the perpetrator refused to do so in my presence. Infringement of JW rules would be ignored by me, unless I felt I needed to discuss it with the person for their own good.

Even their Moral Compass is controlled by the GB/WT. Disgusting that people will sink so low, such lack of personal morals has lead to so much evil throughout history.

• Mozzie
    Mozzie

This was the feeling i had when i faded away. tho an unbaptized publisher i was still feeling eyes on me every time i walked into the congregation, i found myself at time when going out, going for miles away so i knew hopefully there were no spies, but i was wrong, It is sad it has to be like this in today's world,

• Half banana
    Half banana

The spirit of the JW org is "You must conform or we will punish you". Any high control cult needs spies to maintain conformity.

This attitude only arises when the basis for authority is insecure. (The apparent only validation of a cult is in its smiling and uncomplaining membership).

All JWs and in particular the leadership of this cult are in denial of reality. . . but all fruitlessly cling, like drowning sailors, to the hope that if there is a God they will be rescued.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

STUCKINARUT2:

Well, we certainly know NOW that any organization that encourages snitching and tattling on everybody is an unhealthy place to be!

Unfortunately, Jehovah's Witnesses are like the proverbial frog in the pot of water! They have slowly had their sensibilities eroded and learnt to put up with things that normal people in the outside world would run from!

This is all so crystal clear now that I am OUT and away from this madness!

They tell themselves that they are doing this tattling out of "love" because they want to "readjust" the brother/sister who is in error. Well, I'm not buying it.

I think in many cases tattling has envy or jealousy as an underlying motive. I always considered Witnesses to be an envious bunch. Sometimes they are downright threatened by something about a person, so they seek to nullify the "threat" posed by the person's intelligence, popularity, affluence, attractiveness, etc. So, they use the elders as their "hit men" and the gossip cliques to pan the individuals or "shun" them.

I'm not saying that correction or counsel is never warranted, because sometimes it is. It is just that I believe in half the cases the snitching is prompted by something far less noble than good intentions!

• zeb
    zeb

LHG: ......and the road to hell is paved with good intentions..

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Very good comments!

Yes, now that we are out, we see the inappropriateness of the society's methods so clearly!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit