Latest Metal Detecting Find

by cofty 31 Replies latest social physical

• cofty
    cofty

Now the harvest is underway up north I can get out for a walk with the metal detector in the evening. I am lucky to live on a historic rural estate and I have permission from the landowner to detect.

This is a coin that popped up last night. It was only about 2 inches deep and had been tumbling around in the plough soil for the last 750 years.

It is a silver penny of King Henry III. He was son of King John (Magna Carta) and father of Edward I. He had a difficult and contentious reign with constant power struggles. He became king aged just nine.

The obverse shows the king wearing a crown and holding a sceptre in his chubby right hand. The inscription reads HENRICUS REX III.

The reverse is a voided long cross with three pellets in each quadrant. The legend reads DAVI ON LVNDEN meaning the coin was minted by David of London. It dates from around 1256. The coin is about 18mm in diameter. Pennies were the only denomination available in that period. If you wanted to spend half a penny you literally cut it in half (or quarter) along the cross. Most ordinary people would never use coinage at all.

Although most of what I find has little value it is a real buzz to hold something that nobody has seen for more than 7 centuries.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Congrats on your find. Good thing the laws in Britain allow you to keep it.

• cofty
    cofty
    Good thing the laws in Britain allow you to keep it

Yes in England the rules are very fair. It really belongs to the landowner but if anything valuable is found the value is split 50:50 with the finder. If two or more silver or gold coins are found together then they must be declared as treasure and handed in to the coroner. Eventually you will get a payment that a panel decides it is worth, which is always surprisingly low!

Any other object containing any gold or silver more than 300 years old must be handed in as well. In Scotland all coins have to be given up.

I have about 20+ silver coins now ranging from William The Lion 1180 to present day.

• Listener
    Listener

Congratulations on your find, it would be really exciting. What an enjoyable hobby.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

I love coin collecting! I would be so excited to make that find! Congrats on finding a valuable piece of history. I have a huge, worn, copper British penny from 1799 which I use as a paper weight.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Do you ever find anything Viking? We want to visit the island over there the Vikings invaded. (I forget the name it had the gospels) I haven't been since I was young and I want to go back again after watching the Vikings TV series.

• cobweb
    cobweb
    I loved the BBC comedy The Detectorists. I am thinking you are probably a fan also.
  • cofty
    cofty
    I have a huge, worn, copper British penny from 1799 which I use as a paper weight. - Bonsai

Yes they were George III "Cartwheel" pennies. I have 4 or 5 of those, they tend to come out the ground very worn. There was also a twopence the biggest, heaviest coin ever made in England. I think the value of coin was still linked to the intrinsic value of the copper. - They give a signal on the headphones that don't have blast your eardrums!

Do you ever find anything Viking? - SBF

Sadly no. But I hope it will happen. I have a couple of Roman finds though.

Lindisfarne is very near my house. It is a wonderful place to visit. Just get the tides right or your car will end up floating off to the Tyne.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes we were going to visit few months ago on a Saturday but I looked on a website and the tides dididn't fit. The island itself is called Lindesfarne? I read about this. And about a monk (or abbot?) who lived there and wanted to get away from other people. Even that was not remote enough for him so he went to an even smaller island nearby in order to get away from people. He was killed by a dragon of course. No not really, I just made that part up.

• cofty
    cofty

Ha! Yes you can walk onto St Cuthbert's Island at very low tide.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit