Are Witnesses really "Bible Students"?

by stuckinarut2 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus
    JW's are students of Watchtower literature - as I was. Now I am a Bible student but without the vignette of WT publications. I spend much more time on the teachings of Christ - something minimised by JW's as their focus is on WT publications.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Nope when my wife was scared of me because of my waking up she diligently studied the WT and watched all the broadcasts etc but never did I ever see her read her bible.
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    stuckinarut2 : We were always told that as witnesses we were "sincere bible students".... Carefully examining the scriptures. Yes, we were indeed taught much about the content of the bible, it's history, prophecies etc....
    But it was always from one perspective....that of the society.

For an answer consider the meaning of the expression 'Bible student', to a 'Catholic Christian' who studies the Bible. Can they be a 'Bible student' if they read the Bible from the perspective of their Church.

Yes, of course.

OTOH, if by the expression 'Bible student,' you want to describe a person who objectively studies the Bible without a pre-concieved bias toward any particular belief system, then NO!!!

So an answer is dependent on what you mean by study.

I suggest to you that most Christians (of all brands) have never been 'students' of the Bible from the second perspective. Reading the NT, we can detect biased statements when particular texts from the OT are ripped out of their context and applied to either Jesus of to the early church, or to the developing doctrines of the church.

In the early church writings in you can find a lot of really stupid stuff. Just as stupid as anything that old Freddy F ever produced. Take as an example this 'proof' that 'resurrection' is 'natural.'

Clement of Rome, the third bishop of that church (and therefore an early Pope) wrote a letter to the Corinthian congregation who were having a big quarrel among themselves. Its dated to 95 or 95 CE. after dealing with the Corinthian congregations bitchfight, old Clement encourages the Corinthians to look ahead to the resurrection hope:

"Let us consider that wonderful sign [of the resurrection] which takes place in Eastern lands, that is, in Arabia and the countries round about. There is a certain bird which is called a phoenix. This is the only one of its kind, and lives five hundred years. And when the time of its dissolution draws near that it must die, it builds itself a nest of frankincense, and myrrh, and other spices, into which, when the time is fulfilled, it enters and dies. But as the flesh decays a certain kind of worm is produced, which, being nourished by the juices of the dead bird, brings forth feathers. Then, when it has acquired strength, it takes up that nest in which are the bones of its parent, and bearing these it passes from the land of Arabia into Egypt, to the city called Heliopolis. And, in open day, flying in the sight of all men, it places them on the altar of the sun, and having done this, hastens back to its former abode. The priests then inspect the registers of the dates, and find that it has returned exactly as the five hundredth year was completed. (Section or Chap 25)

Link: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/1clement-roberts.html

No-one now surely, would claim that to be part of unbiased study of Biblical doctrines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit