Australian JW murdered outside New Guinea Bethel years ago?

by wozza 5 Replies latest jw friends

• wozza
    wozza

Does anyone remember this ,I just recalled this morning , I knew the family and my daughter was friends with his brother.

I have left years ago and wondered if his murder was resolved and the story behind it as he worked at the Bethel there.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

You might find something here. There are pages and pages concerning murder, suicide, and many other crimes involving Jehovah's Witnesses.

Atlantis!
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

you can sure see the spirit working with that lot.

• wozza
    wozza

Thanks Atlantis but nothing there ,I would rather not open old wounds for the family by stating their name ,I will look outside this site in my search thanks again

• gerry
    gerry

the family moved into a congregation on the NSW south coast and are still there. The wife has never remarried and lives with her parents and are all pioneers. I will see if I can find out.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

I wouldn't read too much into this murder having been committed right outside the Bethel complex in Papua New Guinea.

The country's capital city, Port Moresby, has a very high rate of violent crime, together with an under-strength and totally ineffective police force. It is also surrounded by countless, sprawling illegal squatter settlements - in which criminals can easily shelter, and into which the police dare not pursue them.

Having just returned from a business trip to Port Moresby, the place is now even more heavily fortified than it was when I first visited it 30 years ago. All its major building, and almost all its private residences, are surrounded by high concrete walls and / or security fences made from sharpened tubular palings. (Gone are the barbed wire-topped chain mesh fences of yesteryear. It took the crims no time at all to learn how easily a pair of sidecutters can defeat chain mesh!)

This also applies to PNG's Bethel Complex. It is as heavily fortified as any other building in the city - and for good reason. Given the general state of lawlessness in Port Moresby, that murder could well have been committed by one of the many groups of street criminals (known in the Pidgin English as "rascals"). Many of those types are unbelievably vicious, and human life means very little to them. As an example, a payment of as little as 500 Kina (approx. USD $150) to the right people is sufficient to have somebody murdered. Typically, too, a person is most vulnerable when entering or leaving a fortified complex, such as PNG's Bethel.

What is perhaps remarkable is that murders of JWs in PNG are not more common. During my time there, JW missionaries and "pioneers" used to go into the squatter settlements, which the police wouldn't dare venture into. (Although I am told that this is no longer the case).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit