Prince is dead.

by DATA-DOG 66 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    There is something about the whole Prince/WT connection that doesn't add up to me. Just sayin.
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    It doesn't make much sense to me either, sparrow. But Prince has always been antiestablishment. Maybe going against the grain and joining a 'rebel' religion such as the witnesses would appeal to him. Plus he grew up Adventist which was a third of the way there.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Prince was a guy who both embraced and immersed the living culture that he supported, toward the open sexuality drug culture of the Rock and Roll business. He may have subdued the drug part to a certain extent but the sex play was his personal drug of choice. So after numerous girlfriends and couple of wives and being labeled the little dirty one for his outlandish sexual innuendos in his music and stage performances, he needed a new identity to relinquish the old tainted one he built up around himself through most of his career, enter the JW religion, helped along by a musical associate Larry Graham a JWS himself .

Overtime though it looks like the oppressiveness of the religion and all of its controlling aspects brought on a distasteful appeal to perhaps his elevated ego and identify as a free wheeling rich celebrity who was more avowed to walk his own way, so he subsequently faded away.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I was checking out 'His Life In Pictures'. It is interesting to see the jewelry change, ie the cross and ankh-like male gender symbol disappeared.

Like sparrowdown said, I can't see any man who dresses the way he did, sings the types of songs he did, wore all that blingy jewellry and makeup fairing well as a JW. He would definitely have to change all that. I wonder if he was really able to.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

FayeDunaway - "...Prince has always been antiestablishment. Maybe going against the grain and joining a 'rebel' religion such as the witnesses would appeal to him..."

That's funny.

An "antiestablishment" icon joining a "rebel" religion, only to discover that under the surface, it's even more rigidly "establishment" than almost everything it "rebels" against. :smirk:

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Finkelstein - "...Overtime though it looks like the oppressiveness of the religion and all of its controlling aspects brought on a distasteful appeal to perhaps his elevated ego and identify as a free wheeling rich celebrity who was more avowed to walk his own way, so he subsequently faded away."

This is what I've long suspected, too.

• Simon
    Simon
    But Prince has always been antiestablishment. Maybe going against the grain and joining a 'rebel' religion such as the witnesses would appeal to him.

So much truth in that. The WTS fills a niche in the market and appeals for people looking for an alt-religion.

All this publicity will no doubt make some aware of them as an option and could very well boost their numbers a little.

• talesin
    talesin

I note that he got divorced from his JW wife a few years ago. I wonder if it was a 'scriptural' divorce? Personally, it seems like he had left the religion by his actions (ie, inactive), after his JW marriage broke up.

He was a troubled, yet extremely gifted person, who was involved with evangelicals earlier in life. Just another effed up person, albeit rich and famous, looking for 'truth', who got struck by a beautiful JW virgin, converted for her, found out TTATT, and left.

That's my 2.

x tal

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Are you sure his ex was a JW? I read that he met her when she was working for his nonprofit organization... Which doesn't seem like a witness job. And now she's married to another celebrity...
  • Phaedra
    Phaedra

It's been some week. I've been on Youtube a lot, watching stuff that Prince, ironically, made sure nobody shared online while he was alive.

Those who entered the world after his heyday in the 80s and 90s relate much differently than those who came before. But now with his stuff freely shared, can appreciate so much more about his creative impact.

Life is such a mysterious puzzle, isn't it. The artist must be paid, yes. But the artist must be seen to be appreciated. And thank you to all of the fellow musicians who played with Prince through the years. All of you made beautiful creative things: Wendy, Lisa, Sheila, and others. All of you who I couldn't appreciate because I was a JW and couldn't listen to Prince. The irony there is more than palpable.

RIP. I hope things are much better in the "after world". Cause in this life, we ARE on our own.

Thanks again, PRN. Sad because you won't be here any more. Glad you were. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit