Changes in the last 7-ish years?

by FinchAndWeston 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FinchAndWeston
    FinchAndWeston

What has changed in the last 7 years? Just curious ...

1) Do they still shun? What's the policy on DA's, DF's and A?

2) Do they still preach? Note: I haven't seen anyone "out in service" in a long time

3) I noticed brother/sisters standing beside a stand with magazines ... does everyone get one? Is this new?

4) I noticed a new bible: it's grey colored and has JW literature appended to the front and back cover ... neat!

5) .... anything else?

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Not on your list, but the Watchtower and Awake magazines have been severely reduced. For many decades they were placed together as 'companion' magazines, and there were 2 of each every month. Each magazine had 32 pages for a total of 128 pages of information, every month, going door to door.

Now the magazines are 16 pages each, and only one of them goes door to door each month, a single Watchtower one month, then a single Awake the next. They keep alternating this way.

That is 16 pages of information currently going to the public each month vs 128 pages just a few years ago - that's just 1/8 as much information, a sharp decline!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

That is 16 pages of information currently going to the public each month vs 128 pages just a few years ago - that's just 1/8 as much information, a sharp decline!

That's a lot less trash going into our landfills.

Doc

• Magnum
    Magnum

1) They still shun. I think they now make the same announcement whether one DAs or is DFed. What is "A"?

2) As far as I know they do, but it's nothing like it used to be. It is feeble, weak, and wimpy. Whereas, in the past, some JWs loved challenges, it seems that now they most run from challenges. JWs seem to lack the knowledge, boldness, and even intelligence that they once had, and it seems to be getting worse. The door-to-door work doesn't seem to be emphasized as much to me. They now use smart phones and tablets in service, showing online videos to householders. It kind of seems like they're going back to the really old days whey they used phonographs at doors.

3) It's relatively new, and it's a total waste of time. I think JWs just stand or sit at them and count time without talking to people and placing very little literature. I don't think all JWs get one. Maybe somebody can provide some detail on that. Maybe it's just pioneers? Maybe they have to ask the service overseer or something like that? I believe those at the stands are instructed to not try to witness, but to place literature. In fact, to me, that seems to be the general trend. I think the org now realizes that JWs can't answer questions and defend their doctrine, so the org higher-ups want them to just place literature and play videos so they won't be exposed to opposition and have their eyes opened.

4) Yeah, that translation is a couple of years old. They bragged for years about how great the old one was; if it was so great, why did they so drastically change it?

5) The faithful and discreet used to be all the anointed on earth at any given time. It is now just the governing body. I think they made that doctrinal change because some of the other (so-called) anointed were complaining, questioning, giving unwanted input, etc., so the GB basically fired them. The other anointed now have no more say-so than a pimple-faced microphone carrier. The GB have all power.

Do you know about the change concerning the word "generation" (Mt 24:34)? If not, let us know.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration
    The governing body=the faithful and discreet slave. No longer is it the 144k collectively. Not that they gave a shit what the rest of them ever said before, but it definitely is more a of a "we are the boss" message.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    They've got television now. Go to JW.org and you'll find it. They even have cartoons for children including one where a little girl sacrificed her ice cream money to make a donation to the Watchtower organization.
  • Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

ScenicViewer ...That is 16 pages of information...

Information? Just what 'information' are you talking about?

Information : def

Data that is (1) accurate and timely, (2) specific and organized for a purpose, (3) presented within a context that gives it meaning and relevance, and (4) can lead to an increase in understanding and decrease in uncertainty.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

ScenicViewer ...That is 16 pages of information...

I'm not sure but I think the font got bigger so if it's twice the area of the previous magazines then it'll be the equivalent of 8 pages or 1/16 the information.

• talesin
    talesin

A few years ago, in December 2011 or 2012, if I recall, they had a WT article that featured 'diseased apostates', and said that we are suffering from a mental illness.

The press was contacted, and a major British newspaper wrote an article. About 36 hours was spent with JWS and exJWS debating the issues in the comments section which is a world forum. It was very exciting, and I think, opened a few eyes to who the JWS really are.

The article made the front page of one of the atheist 'leaders' news ,,, was it Dawkins?

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Esse quam videri: Information? Just what 'information' are you talking about?

The point of my post was to show the drastic reduction in literature production, primarily the Watchtower and Awake magazines, that has taken place over the past several years as evidenced by the amount of printed information going to the public now vs then....16 pages per month (now) vs 128 pages per month (then).

I suppose the point of your post is that Watchtower literature doesn't contain anything that qualifies as information, is that right? If I had to choose from the list of definitions for information that you provided I would take "(2) specific and organized for a purpose," the purpose the magazines being to promote the Watchtower religion.

The opening post asked about organizational changes in the past several years, my post addressed one change. I was not making a remark about the quality or lack of quality of the information in the magazines.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit