The Milgram experiment.

by The Rebel 5 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

The Milligan experiment was an experiment on obidience to authoritive figures. It's worth checking out, for In my opinion the experiment showed how even before the conscience is desenthitized, people will go to any length to gain approval from their authoritive figure. This clarified to me why many become ministerial sevants, elders and company men, giving their life to an organisation they proudly refer to as mother.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Milgram experiment.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

I've seen this test being performed on TV to show ordinary people tend to submit to authority figures.Derren Brown uses it to test how susceptible some people are, being told that they wont be held responsible somehow switches off their critical thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxq4QtK3j0Y

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

people crave security - an authority figure, I guess, is seen as one who taken the risks and assumed leadership and so one can relax while they are in charge. I don't know much about this experiment and am assuming from my own experiences of how people act and react

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

pale-emperor that video you uploaded was very interesting. Thanks.

ruby456 , you make an interesting observation. I clarify your thought that elders in the organisation can assume leadership, but avoid legal accountability for their behavior towards others.

Understanding how easily presumably decent people can compromise their ethical values, and conscience has helped me to comprehend the danger of attaching oneself to any cause, or organisation.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

I think ethical accountability trumps legal accountability - an individual needs to hold him/herself accountable first but in a group it is easier to defer to those in authority. I am developing my own ethical framework and am not at all afraid of expressing myself when I need to or taking action when it is needed. I used to remain in an anxiety ridden state of inaction because of not having the confidence of my own convictions. But having said that I would not expect others to follow my lead - I expect people to make up their own minds.

the rebel thanks for drawing me out

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit