http://www.savebrian.org/

by ashitaka 4 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Apparently, this kid mentioned wrote a disturbing short story about a massacre, but he himself had no plans to do anything about it. He was prosecuted under an Oklahoma law that prohibited 'planning' a Columbine-like event. This law is so broad, that even writing a fictional story could be prosecuted. You can read the story on the site.

And yes, the layout of the tale is a short story. Quite macabre, but hardly felonious. There's a lot of movies that have come out that are worse than that. Was the writer, director and actors in the movie Heat prosecuted for showing the planning and execution of a bank robbery? Hardly.

http://www.savebrian.org/

Tell me what you think.

ash

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Couple of observations first:

The site is clearly a pro-Brian one, not that there's anything wrong with that, but I find their description of how the story was discovered a little odd. Some students discovered the story while looking through some files on the computer? Other students found the story in his locker? It feels like they are not telling the whole story. Also, where is the story he wrote? Why isn't it on the site? I looked everywhere and I can't find it.

But having said that, no the boy should not have been charged. I don't have a problem with the school, even the police, investigating because quite frankly you never know. But after it was clear that he had no guns, or plans to carry out an assault, then they should let it go. I do think the boy should poor judgment, and I would have liked to have read the story to judge for myself, but there is no crime here.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I thought this thread was going to be about me and I no, I'm not vein. The only thing I need saving from is myself.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

This was posted yesterday on this thread:

You get a slightly different perspective...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/14/57493/847836/post.ashx#847836

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi,

The tendency of today's governments is to erode civil rights. It has been going on since the 1960s. It started with gun control. There are now thousands of laws on the books between Federal and various State governments ... in spite of the fact that the Constitution explicitely prohibits such laws ... and gun crime continues unabated ... now it's free speech being attacked, but speech crime will continue. In Oregon parents can now go to jail for the crimes of their Children. The details vary, but the erosion of rights and liberties are part of the same trend.

The level of free speech engaged in by this Brian fellow is rather sickening, but not really different from things that me and my peers did in the 1950s ... we also had guns at home sitting next to ammunition, but we did not need laws to tell us it was wrong to use these weapons for other than self-defense. Yet, a boyhood friend of mine killed himself playing with guns ... he was always an idiot. But, these experiences are rare compared to the total population ... however, our news media sensationalizes them in a way that we and our various governments are made to feel that it is of epidemic proportions ... kind of like Watchtower use of mass media fear to control the JWs.

Our Constitution has become little more than an old memory because WE the people have allowed our governments to get away with erosion of our civil liberties ... and this erosion will continue as long as we let it. It will stop when we get together and agree on what we collectively want and then make the government obey us ...

It requires coordination, leadership, agreement, and backbone to fight city hall. Governments tend to seize more and more power ... even the best of governments do this, albeit, with the best of intentions. They can't help themselves ... they feel a compulsion to make new laws ... some laws have proven good, most laws are not needed nor are they truly effective.

It is going to get worse, and worser, and worsest ... until WE stop it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit