Part 1 of 5 : Isaiah 9:6 'Wonderful'

by JW Answers 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

Whilst many Jehovah's Witnesses use Isaiah 9:6 to deny the deity of Christ and some use Isaiah 9:6 to teach false doctrine, the purpose of this mini series is to explain each of the names recorded within Isaiah 9:6 to highlight the importance of the name of the Lord Jesus.

This first part of this mini series discusses why the Lord Jesus is referred to as 'Wonderful'.

Isaiah 9:6 'Wonderful' - Isaiah 9:6

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

The importance of the name of the Lord Jesus can be shown below, however more verses highlighting the significance of why He is referred to as Wonderful is within the video.

*Only Name that can save*

Acts 4:10-12 KJV
    Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. [11] This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. [12] Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

*Only Name that can forgive*

1 John 2:1-2,12 KJV
    My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: [2] And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. [12] I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.

*Only name that cleanses us*

Acts 10:40-44 KJV
    Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly; [41] Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead. [42] And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead. [43] To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. [44] While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

*Only name that can give life*

1 John 5:11-13 KJV
    And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. [12] He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. [13] These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

*Name that is higher than every name*

Philippians 2:9-11 KJV
    Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: [10] That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; [11] And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

• Half banana
    Half banana

In your opening sentence you talk about "to teach false doctrine". Before continuing can you please enlighten me on how to determine what true or false doctrine is?

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

False Doctrine is anything that is contrary to the word of God, I.E Denying the Deity of Christ, Insisting that works play a vital part on Salvation, insisting that there is no Hell, stating that you can lose your salvation, etc. basically teaching the opposite to the word of God.

The JWs do not rightly divide the word of truth, as they are not told how too.. yet, the Apostle Paul tells us that we are to do so, however this is oy something which the Holy Spirit can open our minds to do.

2 Timothy 2:15 KJV
    Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Corinthians 4:4 KJV
    In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

1 Corinthians 2:12-14 KJV
    Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. [13] Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. [14] But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

1 Corinthians 2:4 KJV
    And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

1 Corinthians 2:13 KJV
    Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

We are not to teach the doctrines of men,

Matthew 15:9 KJV
    But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Ephesians 4:14 KJV
    That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Colossians 2:21-22 KJV
    (Touch not; taste not; handle not; [22] Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

We are to preach sound doctrine..

1 Timothy 1:10 KJV
    For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

By studying the word of God, and by rightly dividing it (2 Tim 2:15).

• Half banana
    Half banana

I see you are a Bible quoting religion JWA, just like the JW org is.

Has it ever crossed your mind that there is a problem with investing your emotional life in a book of someone else's propaganda? I am of course referring to the Bible, formulated as a political tool of the Roman Empire.

I fear you are happy quoting the text but not understanding the reason why it was assembled in the first place. And please don't quote the Bible to defend the Bible. Why should anyone take this book literally? It presents a slave like morality which is well past its sell by date.

If you like literature of the Late Classical era, I recommend another contemporary text,The Golden Ass by Apuleius. He was born in Roman North Africa in 124 CE and wrote it around the time when early Christianity was picking up numerically before the year 170 CE. This novel is still published today and gives an extraordinary insight into the social history, i.e. the actual mode of life, of the Roman period. Unlike the Bible, The Golden Ass is still really amusing to the modern reader.

Reading Apuleius reminds us just how coldly dogmatic, apocalyptic and threatening the tenor of the Bible is.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Excellent series!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

What Tenacious said.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Excellent series!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest