A Better View of Trauma

by Sea Breeze 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I ran across this short essay and thought it was worth passing along.

Trauma Is Not Your Fault, But Healing Is Your Responsibility

What happened to you was not your fault.

It was not something you asked for, it was not something you deserved.

What happened to you was not fair.

You were merely collateral damage on someone else’s warpath, an innocent bystander who got wrecked out of proximity.

We are all traumatized by life, some of us from egregious wrongdoings, others by unprocessed pain and sidelined emotions. No matter the source, we are all handed a play of cards, and sometimes, they are not a winning hand.

Yet what we cannot forget is that even when we are not at fault, healing in the aftermath will always fall on us — and instead of being burdened by this, we can actually learn to see it as a rare gift.

Healing is our responsibility because if it isn’t, an unfair circumstance becomes an unlived life.

Healing is our responsibility because unprocessed pain gets transferred to everyone around us, and we are not going to allow what someone else did to us to become what we do to those we love.

Healing is our responsibility because we have this one life, this single shot to do something important.

Healing is our responsibility because if we want our lives to be different, sitting and waiting for someone else to make them so will not actually change them. It will only make us dependent and bitter.

Healing is our responsibility because we have the power to heal ourselves, even if we have previously been led to believe we don’t.

Healing is our responsibility because we are uncomfortable, and discomfort almost always signals a place in life in which we are slated to rise up and transform.

Healing is our responsibility because every great person you deeply admire began with every odd against them, and learned their inner power was no match for the worst of what life could offer.

Healing is our responsibility because “healing” is actually not returning to how and who we were before, it is becoming someone we have never been — someone stronger, someone wiser, someone kinder.

When we heal, we step into the people we have always wanted to be. We are not only able to metabolize the pain, we are able to affect real change in our lives, in our families, and in our communities. We are able to pursue our dreams more freely. We are able to handle whatever life throws at us, because we are self-efficient and assured. We are more willing to dare, risk, and dream of broader horizons, ones we never thought we’d reach.

The thing is that when someone else does something wrong and it affects us, we often sit around waiting for them to take the pain away, as though they could come along and undo what has been done.

We fail to realize that in that hurt are the most important lessons of our lives, the fertile breeding ground upon which we can start to build everything we really want.

We are not meant to get through life unscathed.

We are not meant to get to the finish line unscarred, clean and bored.

Life hurts us all in different ways, but it is how we respond — and who we become — that determines whether a trauma becomes a tragedy, or the beginning of the story of how the victim became the hero.

- Briana Wiest

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

Very true

Recently left a abusive relationship after many years on the way to becoming a survivor and no longer a victim with the help of domestic abuse agency's .

That also help me that I was in a abusive religion , they both use the same tactics to control all aspects of your life and slowly erode the person you are,in the process of fading from JWs ,

This forum has been a great help in the recovery process so on the road to being a survivor of the abusive cult.

So many thanks .

• blubberyk9
    blubberyk9

If you google 'what are the signs of being in an abusive relationship' the results that show up are applicable to being involved in the JW religion. It is the exact same technique in use which erodes the person targeted until they can no longer speak for themself. These techniques, provided in abundance, are used to conform a person to the abuser's beliefs and erode the individuality of the target. How many times were we told what terrible sinners we were before God? How many times were we discouraged from "independent thinking"?

I do agree that we learn in adversity and that there exists a path whereby we can heal therefrom.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It certainly is our responsibility to self-heal, and it is the only way forward to a free and happy life. It takes effort, something as JW's we were not required to do, we had our thinking done for us, we had our conscience formed by others, we thought that "Holy Spirit" would do all the work.

It took me a few years of researching, not only the errors of the JW org, but how to heal myself. I was helped by an excellent Therapist, because shortly before leaving I fell in to suicidal depression, but I had to work at the techniques she taught me, a wonderful woman by the way, who had previously treated a number of JW's.

Do not be a Slacker ! you have everything to gain by putting in real effort.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

So true!

Thank you for sharing.

• DaveB
    DaveB

I was taken by the courts from JW mum in 1973/74 aged approx 7 due to many factors - she lost custody ultimately because of the blood stance.

I’m 56 now and after a huge effort to survive life - it’s been chaos. I’m only just seeing the distortions from the terrifying conditioning I received in the build up to 75. I feel I’m waking up to a life never lived. Pouring every scrap of kindness and compassion into a weary being, wracked by guilt, shame and a broken sense of self. I only recently (in the last couple of years when suffering became too much) realised I’ve lived between worlds, isolated. Never being or feeling like a ‘normal person’ and the sudden inner spiritual transformation I’ve worked towards of becoming a divine world saver, still hasn’t come.

I have moments of feeling the healing is nearly done only to be hit with a sense of it having not even started.

I was meant to never get old and never die. Yet my inner child has a beard and is exhausted. I’ve got a dog not a lion….

The post about healing responsibility above touched me - I hope there is still time for me to be the me I never knew. He, would be lovely, I’m sure.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Sorry to hear about your plight DaveB.

The 1975 fiasco was very tragic for the yougsters. I am 59 now and was 12 yrs. old in 1975. I firmly believed I would die at God's hand at that time. When I didn't, I was really angry at WT leaders for being so manipulative. I engaged in all kinds of things (including getting baptized at age 23 and regualar pioneering. I was fully in for 8 years. After leaving, it took another 8 years to find Christ. Everything changed for the better for me after that.

I don't know where you are with your faith in Jesus. But, he is still available to "whosoever". Much of my anxiety never went away. But, I would say it is a good 30 to 50% better. I just learned to ignore / manage the rest of it.

IM me if you ever need someone to unload on.

- Sea Breeze

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit