Poor Little Dewey, Watering Flowers Alone in Space

by Simon 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

One of the earliest movies I can remember watching, probably because of the heart-wrenching ending with little Dewey alone in space, watering the flowers in the garden, was Silent Running. I'm not going to admit to how long I sobbed after watching that.

Apart from it being a pioneering movie about environmental apocalypse and the people involved going on to create other great SciFi movies, and the robots being the inspiration for R2D2 in StarWars ... it reminds me of growing up.

It's now a 50 year old movie. But back I thought the little robot was real. Up there. On his own. Faithfully looking after the last remaining flowers. He was the last one left of 3 robots.

Now I know it was just a movie, I know it was 3 double amputees who played the robots by walking on their hands. It seems less magical.

I grew up.

It reminds me that I grew up because I once believed a silly thing. I thought it was real, but it wasn't.

Part of me wishes it was real, that little Dewey is still up there with his watering can, taking care of his garden, but happy. But you can never go back and there's no point yearning for simpler times.

Now I'm an adult and I get to think about adult stuff, inflation and taxes, bills and all the fun things no one likes to think about. A fantasy world where you'll always be that kid, free of worry is an appealing fantasy, but that's all it is.

None of the WTS stories ever came close to the emotional power of that movie. That stuff was way easier to leave behind and forget about.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Every time I log in I have to confirm I am not a robot.

The foxgloves this year have been outstanding. They seeded themselves... everywhere. I have been amazed walking into shops to see people paying £20 per plant for what I have in super, super, super abundance and have just cut down and shoved into the composter.

Cosmos is coming through now and the fig tree... well - its got figs on!!!

Garden bragging aside, on this thread we've scratched our heads about a wierdy Watchtower picture.

The resurrected will not get a change of clothes in the New System (jehovahs-witness.com)

Is the picture suggesting Knights Templars? You have to decide yourself. But C T Russell loved his pyramid inch. This 10 min video shows that the Knights Templars love their pyramid inch too.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/j1EVCGkhYt3p/

And if the Knights Templars are bankers and you believe their figures... don't forget people can do some fantastic magic tricks with maths. So does inflation exist? Or is someone messing with figures? I don't know.

But Watchtower did a great job convincing grown men that Dan 2:1 happened in 606 BCE -

*** dp chap. 4 p. 46 par. 2 The Rise and Fall of an Immense Image ***

when Jehovah God allowed him to destroy Jerusalem and its temple. In the second year of Nebuchadnezzar’s reign as world ruler (606/605 B.C.E.), God sent him a terrifying dream

And if you know your Bible well, you will realise they are telling you that Nebuchadnezzar's 19th year is followed by... his 2nd year.

If you go and dig out *** w64 10/15 p. 637 A Haughty Spirit Is Before Stumbling ***

You can see how they brilliantly turn the number 3 into the number 11. If they were your bankers - it would be an impressive way to do inflation. Alternatively you'd realize their silly sums were myths.

“In the third year of the kingship of Jehoiakim the king of Judah, Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon came to Jerusalem and proceeded to lay siege to it.” (Dan. 1:1) This “third year” of vassalage to Babylon would be the eleventh year of Jehoiakim’s entire reign."

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Simon, as you know, I'm a cold-hearted bahstad, but my wife was sobbing right along with you.

Live long and prosper, Dewey!

• JeffT
    JeffT

I saw that when it was released, I was in college at the time. I loved that movie, although it has some big plot holes. The spaceships were fantastic!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I felt vad for dewey looking at his companions leg left after the solar storm.

Bruce Dern is always a favorite.

Entirely unrelated save Mr. Dern the movie Nebraska is very entertaining.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have not forgotten that “Silent Running “ film, Bruce Dern and Duey and Thuey…..

I was too grown up to take it for real but it made an impact. The way this worlds going, with the loss of species and biodiversity, it seems even more relevant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit