Eschatology based faith

by Steel 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Steel
    Steel

My wife recently took a week off work to pioneer which really pissed me off because it kind of pissed away our summer holidays. Of course I asked my typical questions about " do you actually know what the new covenant is ? or what is the point of all this time with the new understanding of the faithful slave.

Of course I just got revelations based answers which I have learned not to pay no mind too. There was a time in life when I seriously studied this stuff till I realized its a basically just a wild card in the study of biblical theology. You can basically make the book of revelations say whatever you want too.

When did you realize the WTS is just creating a new religion out of the most debateable parts of the bible ?

Also when you do something like change the meaning of the faithful slave, what the hell do you really get out it ?

• steve2
    steve2

Even as a JW, I couldn't quite bring myself to take the ramblings of a psychotic believer - John - seriously. "Come quickly Lord Jesus", indeed! Two thousand plus years and still counting.

It also intrigued me then - as it still does - that so much arrogant interpretive horseshit has been written about this book, not just by JWs but sundry other religious groups down through the ages, each one convinced its interpretation is the correct one. Just a quick youtube search will not disappoint those who want to count the many current ways this book has been subjected to modern-day re-writing.

In the case of groups like the JWs this is even more absurd because in their organization's history, several different interpretations have been produced superseding the previous accepted ones.

Despite beliefs to the contrary, earnestness and "scholarly" writings do not transform a lunatics ramblings into truth.

• Steel
    Steel

It pisses me off each and every year to go to the memorial , listening to some talk about how the entire new testament isn't written for them because of some vague verses in some insane book of the bible.

Yet not a single speaker could explain the book of Romans.

Yuck

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The faithful slave verse is just a question. What's really crazy is if there was to be one specific group or sect of Christianity that god was going to use why doesn't the Bible specifically tells us? It does say exactly who not to follow, anyone declaring another good news, those that claim to be anointed and saying the time is near, and anyone that's changed the Bible. Guess who does all three??

• cobweb
    cobweb

Currently reading a book about the Apocalyptic movement. When you view apocalypses as a genre with a set format and ingredients such as dreams, visions of heaven, a judgement of good and bad etc and compare it with other apocalypses, like the book of Enoch, fourth Ezra, 2nd Baruch, Daniel too of course; compare it too to apocalypses of Babylonian and Persian origin, it is hard to view any of the book of Revelation as in any way unique or special. It just happened to be included in the bible.

The book of Revelation does not apply to our time. It was describing an imminent end just as Paul also expected an end in their lifetime. It has references to the Roman Empire. The mark of the Beast 666 or 616 as they think it is now, is a code number that identifies a specific Roman emperor. Just like Daniel wasn't referring to our time either. The King of the North and the King of the South - it is the Ptolemies of Egypt and the Seleucid's of Syria, literally to the North and South of Israel in the second century when Daniel was written. These biblical apocalypses are failed prophecy and they have not relevance for us.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Still, there are certain rules one must adhere to, not only in biblical exegesis, but apocalyptic exegesis as well. Numbers, beasts, prophecy all mean certain things and one can't just take a translation and delve into the text without knowing the rules. And this is what the JWs do all the time. (And it's a reason they've yet to be right about anything.) You also can't tell them anything, either. They could take analytical courses that would help them understand beasts, numbers and rules that can't be abrogated or ignored, but one would have to go take college grade courses and above, and higher education, as we all know, is a distraction.

I've read the red Revelation book one of them gave me several times, and the interpretation they apply is so precise that it could only be interpreted by someone who knows the rules and has the Spirit of God; for what is given by revelation can only be interpreted by revelation. The problem is, the Slave has never claimed to have either the understanding or the inspiration. In fact they have repeatedly told the world that they do not receive revelation or inspiration in the same fashion as the apostles. One wonders, well, in what fashion do the members of that august body receive inspiration and guidance which is revelation but is not revelation, and is inspiration but is not inspiration?

How are people to know whether they are numbered with the anointed class if it is not revelation? And how can the Slave know that the two prophets of Revelation 11 are really a bunch of 1919 Bible Students released that year so they could begin preaching again (thus being resurrected on the streets of Jerusalem, which is another term for the church. That leap makes the one Eval Knieval took across the Grand Canyon look like a kid's hop, skip and jump exercise! It violates everything we know about eschatological exegesis, and giving it in a paper with real scholars would be a supreme embarrassment. Now if the Slave claimed revelation, it would simply be their word against everyone else's; however, since they have said they don't receive revelation, then how could they possibly know?

The entire GB=FDS equation is based on one verse in Matthew 24. But ask any JW to show you another scripture that has a similar interpretation. Or, when two prophets in an apocalyptic book are murdered and then resurrected on the streets of Jerusalem "where our Lord was crucified" -- ask them to find a similar verse that had a metaphorical interpretation. When apostles and prophets took the time to be so precise, it's highly unlikely they refer to something completely different.

Cobweb > The book of Revelation does not apply to our time. It was describing an imminent end just as Paul also expected an end in their lifetime. It has references to the Roman Empire. The mark of the Beast 666 or 616 as they think it is now, is a code number that identifies a specific Roman emperor.

There are numerous reasons this can't be true. The Beast to which this person refers never fulfilled any of the prophecies applied to him and they were made after the destruction of Jerusalem. There was no mark on the hand or forehead employed by which people could buy or sell. And the Beast was very carefully associated with a ruler described by Daniel, which the emperors of Rome never fulfilled or bore the slightest resemblance to.

You say the King of the North and the King of the South were "the Ptolemies of Egypt and the Seleucid's of Syria, literally to the North and South of Israel in the second century when Daniel was written." But how would you know that since you yourself said "these biblical apocalypses are failed prophecy and they have [no] relevance for us." You're doing the same thing the JWs are doing, but in reverse. The fact that you say these were "failed prophecy" could just as easily mean they don't refer to the Greek sub-kingdoms you say they do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit