How To Spot A Cult - This is what started woke me up!!

by pale.emperor 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

That's a good list.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

PE

Great post. I did the same thing that you did. I Goggled the word cult and every bullet point matched the WT, to a tee. Once my spouse and I started researching our own religion, the layers of the onion began to peel away. No wonder WT doesn't want the R&F to read "apostate" material....IT'S TRUE!

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I used to think ALL of those sites warning about cults were targeting JW's. It's only when i left that i realised they're not targeting any specific cult - it just so happens that the WT org ticks all the boxes!

Check out this other one. http://www.esama.ca/warning-signs-that-you-are-in-a-cult

Im gonna be honest here, reading the last paragraph made me well up:

Cults will always divide the family unit instead of bringing them together. They will make you choose between God and their church. They use scriptures such as: "Jesus came to bring a sword, not peace" or "one must give up brothers, sisters, wife, and house for the kingdom and be a true follower". Children often become the most hurt because of strict rules enforced on them. They lose their childhood and are deeply affected, being unable to adjust later on in life. Religious systems that are not balanced can be socially and psychologically disastrous for innocent children.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Marked. Thanks!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes, it's true. The JW religion fits the bill.

It is amazing that all cults/high control groups fit this general template. The public should be made aware of this so that they are less-likely to fall for any of these groups.

I might also add: the JWs totally misrepresented what they were when I was studying. I only got involved because I was interested in end-time prophecy and they claimed they had no clergy, and that everybody was "equal". Well, no need to say how false that was!

• LostGeneration
  • Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

It was lists like this that made me finally admit that the WTS is a cult or high control group.

• EndofMysteries
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

Once you mess with peoples most precious possession, the family, there WILL eventually be hell to pay. I think it is happening and will get worse for WT over time. We are living in a more acceptable time and our children are learning to accept what our generation did not. The saying, "what goes around, comes around" will affect the WT.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Something similar happened for me (although it was by no means the only thing)...

...I was researching the Religious Right (another story), and came across the term "authoritarianism". Read up on it, and discovered that I could predict individual JWs' behavior based on the research.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit