Recap: Hamerton Zoo staff member dies in 'freak accident' after being mauled by tiger

by Hecce 2 Replies latest social current

• Hecce
    Hecce

A female zookeeper died after being mauled by a tiger in a "freak accident" at a Cambridgeshire zoo.

Officers attended what was initially described as a "very serious incident" at Hamerton Zoo Park, near Huntingdon, at around 11.15am today (May 29).

A police spokeswoman confirmed this evening that the zookeeper died of her injuries at the scene.

She said: "A tiger entered an enclosure with a keeper. Sadly the female zookeeper died at the scene.

"At no time did the animal escape from the enclosure."

The incident is not being treated as suspicious.

A statement from Hamerton Park Zoo read: “This appears to have been a freak accident.

“A full investigation is under way and we hope that more details can be announced as soon as we are able.

“At no point during the incident did any animals escape their enclosures, and at no point was public safety affected in any way.

“All our thoughts and sympathies are with our colleagues, friends and families at this dreadful time."

The zoo is a 25-acre wildlife park that has about 500 animals including monkeys, cheetahs, raccoons, sloth and a collection of Malaysian tigers and white tigers.

In 2014 it was described as “the most environmentally-friendly zoo in Europe.”

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/hamerton-zoo-evacuated-cambridgeshire-huntingdon-13107909

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

Poor woman, what a tragedy.

Kids are scared of different things. Zombies, witches, murderers, etc. I was scared of demons, but I also had a strong reaction to big cats like tigers, lions, and bears, which I think stem from Satan being depicted as a lion. I wonder if anyone else can relate to that?

• Hecce
    Hecce

Up to this day my biggest fear are snakes.

I think that I know why.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit