"You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free"

by stuckinarut2 14 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Ah yes... How do the words attributed to Jesus feel now?

"You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free "

Knowing "the truth about 'the truth'" puts so much extra meaning into those words, right?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    On a little bit of a tangent - the JW usage of that scripture is a great example of how the cult emulates the Animal Farm world by redefining words. Truth=cult lies and freedom=forced to follow never ending rules about everything in your life.
  • stillin
    stillin
    I find it a bit ironic that we use the word "fade" to describe the period in our lives when things are getting clearer.
  • TheLiberator
    TheLiberator

Every meeting night and Saturday morning as my family gets ready for service, I watch them and I am reminded of those words. The Watchtower would always quote Matthew: 23:4: "For they bind heavy burdens that are grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not lift a finger to help them."

Were we blind? The Watchtower is one of the heaviest burdens to carry. I just cannot believe I packed that load around. Upon leaving, it was as if chains were immediately removed from my mind. Until you leave, you have no idea how shackled you were.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    The TATT will set you free. :smirk:
  • MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

Pontius pilate asked "What is truth?" Truth is relative to your geography and early indoctrination. The only truth we can prove is that we are here today and gone tomorrow, everything else is conjecture. Removing all other speculations and beliefs just because they where taught to us from infancy was freeing. Reexamining beliefs from nothing and coming to a evidence based decision is freedom. " Evidence makes belief unnecessary".

Truth is what you can prove not what someone else claims. Freedom come at a price, truth is the price you pay.

• stillin
    stillin
    MoC, I am not so sure that I would refer to Pilate as a voice of wisdom, but the rest of your post is spot-on!
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

"What is 'Truth'? It hurts me... it hurts me... no more..."

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

stillin - "...I am not so sure that I would refer to Pilate as a voice of wisdom..."

Why not?

Probably had his head screwed on straighter than most.

Way I see it, he just tried to make the best of a shitty situation.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    ah the irony , the reality of those words works in the opposite way though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit