Disco Haters - Buzz Off

by berrygerry 15 Replies latest social entertainment

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JoZS6LgqYI

The BeeGees were awesome, and our Scientology bro Travolta had the best white man moves, period.

Stay Alive, baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY

• Magnum
    Magnum

I agree. I miss those days. Disco was fun, and I loved the music. I don't think of it being associated with any particular race or culture. It seemed to be truly multi-racial, multi-cultural music. The whole disco scene was fun. I hope it makes a comeback.

I also agree about Travolta; he seemed to really feel the music when he was moving.

• stillin
    stillin

Travolta was into Scientology!? I learned something today. Now I can take the rest of the day off.

seriously, disco seemed "plastic" after the Woodstock-generation. But I came to appreciate it after it had passed. I stay two steps behind the times...

• jws
    jws

I lived through the disco era. For many of us who liked hard rock, we HATED disco. As if the two couldn't co-exist. What it probably was is that it was dancing. You don't dance to Led Zeppelin. Air guitar isn't dancing. And maybe I'm being sexist here, but IMO, the majority of women LOVE to dance. So here is this music that we don't care for, but that's where the women are and what they like. It was a terrible conflict, so many denounced disco.

And that's just the average person's reaction on a musical basis. The Watchtower came out hard against it with some racist overtones as well. Likening it to tribal dancing in Africa. And the rhythms and the dress, purely to entice people into sex.

Funny how, a decade later into the late 80's, there would be JW weddings with disco playing and the elders would be on the dance floor dancing to it nostalgically.

• sir82
    sir82

Say what you will about disco, but the BeeGees could SING.

• Simon
    Simon

When I was little, I always saw them as the ultimate "American" group ... turns out they were local from Manchester, LOL

Great music - even make me want to (attempt to) dance.

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

"You Should be Dancing" is just irresistible!!!

Disco is very cool and although the genre was hated intensely at times, the classic disco-beat (4 on the floor with open hi-hat on the upbeats) simply has become one of the standard and essential rhythms of contemporary music! I played some disco in an allround band for four years and it delivered me two songs on a sampler dvd and a gig in Holland's famous Amsterdam-based Paradiso club! Good vibes

• Angharad
    Angharad
    Great music - even make me want to (attempt to) dance.

Break out the dad moves

• Gulf Coaster
    Gulf Coaster

That was my era. I was 16. And hot for Barry and John. I mean, Barry's hair! Wow! And those tight white pants. I believe he was going commando. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmmmm.

Yeah, but stuck in the JW world, I couldn't dance much, not like that anyway. I played those records when my mother was out. Loud. Or stuck my headphones on at night, played my Bee Gees and Saturday Night Fever soundtrack on my little cassette player. Loud.

Just played it loud now. Great memories. Thanks.

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

Some truly great love songs came from the SNF album, along with some of the best dance & skating songs and music!!!!!!

Barry is all set to release a totally new album of Bee Gees stuff! The write up for it is good!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit