Since you left, have you become more moral?

by Coded Logic 47 Replies latest social family

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    More moral no. More aware and more sympathetic yes. More complicated in my decision making based on a no holds bared with a predetermined moral code to hinder my steps just common sense and lessons learned in life.
  • slimboyfat
  • Pwyrdan
    Pwyrdan
    I see morals in a different way now, but I think I am a better person. I don't cheat on my husband because I love him, respect his feelings, and it would be mean. If I wanted to be with someone else, I'd leave first. He feels the same. I don't steal, because it's lowdown, and I don't want to go to jail. I'd like to be part of what little is good in the world, if I can, but that's just me. I don't tell others what to do or think.
  • Sabin
    Sabin

Moral- based on a sense of right & wrong according to conscience: concerned with or relating to the distinction between good & bad or right & wrong behaviour:

Simply put YES

• Makemeanunbeliever
    Makemeanunbeliever
    I watched carefully those who left through the 30+ years when I was a regular JW. I never once saw anyone who left become more "moral". Actually quite the contrary. Smoking, drugs, sex with same sex, fornication and drunken recklessness most times. Stack atheist on that moral morass.
  • Divergent
    Divergent

Makemeanunbeliever:

I watched carefully those who left through the 30+ years when I was a regular JW. I never once saw anyone who left become more "moral". Actually quite the contrary. Smoking, drugs, sex with same sex, fornication and drunken recklessness most times. Stack atheist on that moral morass.

I believe that the more surpressed a person is, the more they would go wild once they leave! JW's are a surpressed lot & it's not surprising that many who leave would experiment which various activities which they were forbidden to engage in before

However, the perspective of morals is something which is subjective. Smoking? I don't smoke myself, nor would I encourage it, but I won't go as far as saying that a person who smokes is not moral. Same thing with drugs & getting drunk. Homosexuality? You would have a different perspective if you were born differently. Sex before marriage? I see nothing wrong with that, just practice safe sex!

Anyway, from personal experience, the things you mentioned above do not apply to those who I've seen who left, except for the fornication part, which I don't believe is wrong. With regard to the things which the OP mentioned, I would say that they are DEFINITELY more more ethical / aware in that sense. I can speak as one of them! =)

• millie210
    millie210

Im less judgmental.

When I do something I do it for the reasons I deem right, rather than because someone else wrote it down somewhere.

More moral? Less moral?

I would say Im more accurately moral in what the true sense of the word means. .

The JW sense of what "moral" means is meaningless to me now.

• Makemeanunbeliever
    Makemeanunbeliever

Divergent

"I believe that the more surpressed a person is, the more they would go wild once they leave! JW's are a surpressed lot & it's not surprising that many who leave would experiment which various activities which they were forbidden to engage in before

However, the perspective of morals is something which is subjective. Smoking? I don't smoke myself, nor would I encourage it, but I won't go as far as saying that a person who smokes is not moral. Same thing with drugs & getting drunk. Homosexuality? You would have a different perspective if you were born differently. Sex before marriage? I see nothing wrong with that, just practice safe sex!

Anyway, from personal experience, the things you mentioned above do not apply to those who I've seen who left, except for the fornication part, which I don't believe is wrong. Withregard to the things which the OP mentioned, I would say that they are DEFINITELY more more ethical / aware in that sense. I can speak as one of them! =)"

Thats the problem with society today. Everyone has a different definition of "morals". No wonder the world has gone to hell in a hand basket. Someone or something has to set the standards. No one knows right from wrong anymore.

• Divergent
    Divergent
    Makemeanunbeliever:
    Thats the problem with society today. Everyone has a different definition of "morals". No wonder the world has gone to hell in a hand basket. Someone or something has to set the standards. No one knows right from wrong anymore.

My definition / standard is very simple: It's your choice, as long as you don't hurt me or anyone else nor do you try to impose your standards on me

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I'm a lot nicer, that's for sure.

JW "morality" is well below my current standards of ethics, but I'm sure they would say I'm "evil" because I think Stephen Lett is an idiot and ToMo is mentally disturbed. Seriously! What religious leader having the rapt attention of over a million of his loyal, faithful followers would choose to talk about what color socks you should or shouldn't wear? What a nut job!!!

The remaining five GB bozos aren't much better.

Let's review: It's a cult!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit