Was the Coup staged?

by Coded Logic 7 Replies latest social current

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

For the sake of argument, I think a case can be made:

1.) Edrogan has been wanting to expand his constitutional powers - this gives him the perfect opportunity to do so.

2.) It gives Edrogan an excuse to restructure a highly secular military

3.) The Coup didn't even try to capture Edrogan or his senior staff

4.) The Coup failed to take control of the media

5.) The Coup didn't have a message to put out or a leader to rally the support of the country

6.) No high ranking military members knew about the Coup and no one attempted to bring them or any senior staff in on it once the Coup unfolded

7.) The Coup failed to consolidate any ground and had no where near the necessary man power to hold bridges or the airport

8.) There were far more high value targets they should have taken control of over bridges and the airport (police stations, power stations, transportation hubs, military air fields, etc)

9.) The Coup failed to give it's soldiers the necessary tools to deal with protesters (shields, batons, tear gas, loud horns, etc.)

10.) There was not a single aspect of the Coup that showed any plan for a successful takeover. It's almost like it planned to fail . . . weird

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

hi coded logic

the problem is that military elites have always had a problem with democracy in Turkey and they are always stepping in. yes these military elites do support secularity but they want to do it top down rather than bottom up and their secularity is based on the French model of strict secularity and as events in France show this sort of secularity can be very intolerant indeed.

Edrogan does support democracy and his approach to secularity is more like other European secularities and this sort is often at odds with the strict kind. Edrogan would not stage a coup with the military.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    the problem is that military elites have always had a problem with democracy in Turkey.

Except of course in 1960 when Manderes tried to subvert the democratic constitution and the "military elites" stepped in, deposed him, and restored democratic order.

Or do you mean the military "had a problem with democracy" in 1995 the Islamic Welfare Party tried to impose religious laws and the the military stepped in and enforced democratic values?

The military hasn't had a problem with democracy. But several parties that gained power have.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

coded logic it is unbelievable that secularism could be intolerant and undemocratic isn't it? but it very often is in Turkey and in France eidt: and sometimes in the rest of Europe too when extreme right wing parties flourish

• DJS
    DJS

Everything about this is weird. See the news article where Erdogan is blaming a former Turkish cleric and associate living in PA.

The full military clearly wasn't behnd it, as there were neither strategies nor tactics.Too many people died to think Erdogan was behind it, and a lot of military are now under arrest. Suggesting Erdogan could maintain plausible deniability given these conditions strains reason.

It seems that religion is the reason for this treason.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Over a hundred people killed and all the people involved looking at jail or worse. No it wasn't staged. It's so incompetent however I wouldn't be surprised if the Americans were behind it. They have a long, long history of supporting failed or incompetent coups, from Hungary down to the Orange Revolution.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

the coup is over - the small number of military elites who were behind the coup have been caught

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha
    "It's so incompetent however I wouldn't be surprised if the Americans were behind it. "

I also would not be surprised if the USA or other western power had something to do with this as well. I am sure not for the same reasons that SBF feels they possibly played a role, but I would not be surprised if in the next 20 years or so some documents get leaked proving they did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit