Has anybody seen the movie "The Danish Girl " ?

by smiddy 7 Replies latest social entertainment

• smiddy
    smiddy

I watched it today and I truly enjoyed it .To me it was truly an emotional journey for what this young man went through .

I had tears rolling down my face for half the movie which goes for 2 hours. Eddie Redmayne deserves an Oscar for his performance and so does the woman playing his wife Alicia Vikander , based on a true story.

In my heyday as a Witness I probably would have turned it off and banned it from my home .

It`s an amazing journey life takes you after exiting a cult religion .

smiddy

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    The moral of the story? Never let your wife dress you as a woman to paint you. I read about the true life story, quite different than the movie based on a fictional account of the characters. It does have Oscar written all over it. Anytime someone takes a crack at a wildly odd or unusual character they seem to win. I will probably try to watch it eventually, but then I went to an art-house theater and watched "My Own Private Idaho" with River Phoenix and Keaunu Reeves back when. I was an active witness. A rebel obviously.
  • Olivia Wilde
    Olivia Wilde
    I haven't watched it either but also plan to... also the Revenant is great, I think Leonardo should take the win, it's just awesome the way his acting was in that movie
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    I wanted to see this. We ended up going to see Charlie Brown instead. It was quite good.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

Wasanelder Once

I appreciate movies that claim to be based on a true story, do take poetic liscense with the facts to dramatize or enhance the story line.

Maybe I should read about the true life story to get a well balanced view . Thanks .

smiddy

• steve2
    steve2

I will never know what it is like to have a deep-seated sense of being in the body of the "wrong" sex (i.e., a man who feels as if he is a woman in a man's body or a woman who feels as if she is a man in a woman's body).

I can only humbly put aside preconceptions and "moral" imperatives, and listen to these brave individuals tell their heart-rending stories of how 'out of kilter' they feel with their bodies.

It seems almost barbaric to cite chapter and verse condemning these individuals - and it underscores the primitive, uninformed character of ancient texts that are devoid of any understanding of the complexities of human sexuality and self-identity that exist today.

"The Danish Girl" is definitely on my 'must-see' list - yet I also acknowledge it could be extremely difficult and unsettling viewing for many people, especially those who look to ancient, patriarchal societies for instruction on private matters of sexuality and self-identity.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Smiddy, I agree scripts are an adaptation to the format available. The "Imitation Game" is a notorious example of "Poetic License". Alan Turing was a fascinating person but not the antisocial, brooding loner depicted, neither did he create the enigma deciphering computer all on his own. I thought it was a good movie but once I knew the reality I decided it was a lousy biopic. I wish people knew the truth about Alan Turing and his genius, that his wife was aware of his homosexuality and he was rather well liked. The man depicted in the movie is the polar opposite of Alan Touring. It made a great movie, just not an accurate one. It is a disservice to the man's legacy.
  • Sabin
    Sabin

We have been watching docos all about LadyBoys in Thailand & I have found it to be fascinating. How can you condem people because they live differently then you, & I think the culture we grow up in does play a great part. When I lived in U.K I didn't take notice of mental illness so much cause I was in an area where it was quite prevalent so it was just normal. When I phone up my friends & tell them that a snake that could kill you came down the drive way they freak out, but to us that is now the norm. I think when you watch things like this you have to try not only to see things through the other persons eyes but to also step into their culture. Get the blinkers off. If I go to Thailand I'm going to go to a ladyboy bar.

Got any other good movies to recommend?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit