It was a Portrait of a Man ... Falling

by TerryWalstrom 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Thanks for those quotes.

If that amounts to a reputation I've not been able to cash in on it.

I've written two books.

The first book, I Wept by the Rivers of Babylon sold about 45 copies.

The rest were giveaways.

The Monorails of Mars maybe sold about 5 copies.
    My reputation has kept me broke :)

I wrote Portrait of a Man Falling last year after watching the documentary. I was emotionally wrung out and felt compelled to write it.
    I was satisfied I had gotten it out on paper. I felt I had told it my own way and was proud of how it turned out. I shared it on this forum. The documentary was discussed and I was glad to have it 'out there.'

I posted it again today because--well--it's nine eleven, isn't it?

If you want to make it out that I was stealing something and making it my own--I have to ask WHY? What is my motive? It is immediately obvious from the photograph and the quotes it is not a fictional story from the creative imagination.
    All it was for me was a means of sharing the emotions I felt. Period.

I've not injured the documentary nor the photographer. Judging from the reaction here--I've probably not helped myself.

So, that's all there is to it.

If I committed a crime or a sin--I didn't profit from it, nor did I wish to.

If you want to think I'm trying to "get away with something" that's up to you.

I've been writing and posting here for over a decade and there are probably 1700 articles I've written.
    I write what I feel. That's all there is to it.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

He was a victim of a horrible crime, to try to make him a hero I believe lessons the role of the truly heroic - I agree with this, but I think the making of people such as the 'falling man' heroes was done to counter other people's views that 'jumpers' were cowards.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

The component of Catholic condemnation of self-murder hangs heavy over that day. Indeed, if you ever read an obituary about a person who has died of cancer, there is always a mention of 'bravery' in 'battling' the disease. I know from experience, in watching my mother die, she was tortured by her treatment and wanted only to be allowed to overdose on painkillers.
    Ironically, when her death was certain--she was sent home with a deliberately large supply of opiates. My stepfather was told (without being told directly) just how many tablets would induce a comatose state.

The defensive posture of civilized people vis a vis death is quite complicated! None of us wishes to die a 'cowardly' death--whatever that is. It comes as no surprise when news outlets bracket the jumpers in heroic and noble terms.
    When writing the ending, I found myself indulging in the same kind of sentiments even though part of me resisted. Who was I to judge them? Would I remain inside and swallow jet fuel, fire, and smoke?
    I think a human being in dire straits deals with the situation one microsecond at a time--away--away--as far away from imminent extinction as one can get--until all decisions vanish.

I hardly ever think about death, but the documentary and the story of the jumpers and their families hit me like a punch to the solar plexus. I found myself obsessing over it.

When my time comes--I'll find out for certain what sort of exit I make.
    If others write about it, well--it's up to them to make the call.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit