Introduction - Any Believers?

by Believer 240 Replies latest jw experiences

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

Sheesh, guys! That statement was sarcasm--and clearly not a mandate from God. Sorry to have offended; I'll speak more plainly going forward. My thinking was that a month very likely diminished the immediate aggression associated with warfare. It wasn't instant gratification or the heat of passion. And the guy might think twice if he had to provide for her as a wife instead of only using her for sex.

David Jay, I'm not sure how what we're saying is so different. I agree that God didn't tell people to rape and pillage or to keep slaves. I have said that the Law was tied to the culture and that it governed their interactions with other people in a more humane manner--for that time. The Law was along the lines of "if you're going to do X, don't be completely awful about it," or a guide for living in a fallen world. That's been my point all along, but it was called cultural relativism. Would you say something else? My mention of dietary laws and animal sacrifice was just to say it's not applicable for Christians because of the NT, not that the Law exalted Israel above anyone else.

Wayward, no I wouldn't; I wouldn't want it for myself either. All I'm saying is it was a very different world then. Even with arranged marriages today, I don't quite understand it. Maybe you meet once or twice before the marriage and hope you like each other? Or learn to? We're not under the law. We don't live in that world. I'm very glad for that.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

OLI - yeah, about a month is all it takes to get over the horrors and trauma of war. I believe I read that in a Psychology magazine. No, no, wait a minute, it was in a I am an Ignorant Dick magazine.

• cofty
    cofty

OLI - Your intellectual dishonesty is astonishing.

Your god approved of murdering babies in cold blood, taking virgins as war trophies, forcing them into marriage, and the taking of slaves as inheritable possessions.

By 21st century standards he is a moral monster.

All your waffle about cultural relativism does not even begin to explain why your god, who never changes, has the ethics of an ISIS warlord.

• cofty
    cofty
    I agree that God didn't tell people to rape and pillage or to keep slaves. - OLI

I pasted the verses where he did exactly that. Are you lying for Jesus?

Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man... Divide the spoils equally between the soldiers who took part in the battle and the rest of the community... The plunder remaining from the spoils that the soldiers took was.. 32,000 women who had never slept with a man.

32,000 virgins are described by your god as "plunder".

When you go to war against your enemies and the Lord your God delivers them into your hands and you take captives, if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. Bring her into your home and have her shave her head, trim her nails and put aside the clothes she was wearing when captured. After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife.

In case you missed it "then you may go to her and be her husband" is a euphemism for rape.

"you may acquire male and female slaves from the pagan nations that are around you. Then, too, it is out of the sons of the sojourners who live as aliens among you that you may gain acquisition, and out of their families who are with you, whom they will have produced in your land; they also may become your possession. You may even bequeath them to your sons after you, to receive as a possession; you can use them as permanent slaves."

"if his master gives him a wife, and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall belong to her master, and he shall go out alone."

"If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies at his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, he survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his property."

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Sheesh, guys! That statement was sarcasm--
    My thinking was that a month very likely diminished the immediate aggression associated with warfare.....OutSiderLookingIn

So Waiting a Month..

Would Diminish the Horror and Trauma of Being Raped?!..

Image result for you're a special kind of stupid meme

• Simon
    Simon
    kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man... Divide the spoils equally between the soldiers who took part in the battle and the rest of the community... The plunder remaining from the spoils that the soldiers took was.. 32,000 women who had never slept with a man.

There are sick groups who do things like this today, capturing women and young girls to live a nightmare existence as sex slaves - we call them ISIS and they are terrorist scum.

Back in the bible though they were god's chosen people and deemed righteous.

Guess what - your god is a monster and anyone who believes this shit is an ignorant and inhuman follower of a monster.

Imagine being scared of such an obviously man-made phony excuse for abuse that you follow it.

Pitiful.

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

Okay. I think we've reached the limits of this discussion because it's getting redundant. My comments on the subject however imperfect and imprecise are spread throughout the pages of this OP. Cofty, I'm glad that we were finally able to agree that you're judging from a 21st century standard. And I can say that I got my very first dedicated meme from Outlaw, even if it is calling me stupid. Maybe an encore after this post? I bid you all a good night.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

And I can say that I got my very first dedicated meme from Outlaw, even if it is calling me stupid..... OutSiderLookingIn

Just so you know..

I don`t have a problem with People of Faith.....None at all

If people want to believe in Jesus and God..

I`m Good With That.....But..

When Modern People want to justify Ancient Savagery..

With a Fictional "SAVAGE GOD",the Ancients Created in their Own Image..

It`s Time for a Reality Check..

Image result for Reality check

• cofty
    cofty
    I'm glad that we were finally able to agree that you're judging from a 21st century standard. - OLI

The god of christian theism is perfect in mercy and love. There is no statement we could make about christianity that is more uncontroversial than this.

You further claim that your god is "the same yesterday, today and forever".

Of course we judge him, not just by a 21st standard but by a perfect one.

All your work is still ahead of you to show how approving of slavery, kidnap, rape, genocide and murdering babies in cold blood are expressions of perfect love.

Keep in mind too that the god who did these things was "the god and father of Jesus Christ". There is no way to separate the depravity of the OT from "gentle Jesus meek and mild".

This is one of the reasons - but not the only one - why we can say with certainty that the god of christianity does not exist.

• DJS
    DJS

OutsideLooking,

Do you ever think before posting? Believer, Perry, Lieu and a billion or more other x tians teach that along with the murderers, etc. your god is going to destroy billions of very kind. moral, ethical people simply because they find your religion and your gods abhorrent.

X tians don't simply believe it, they are anxiously waiting for it.

A host of very good empirical studies suggest that the more atheistic or secular an individual, state, nation or region the more likely they are ethical and functional.

If your god is really going to rid the planet of the vermin and infection that plagues our species she would start with the theists, and especially the x tians.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit