Local Slang-Fluff

by smurfette 3 Replies latest jw friends

• smurfette
    smurfette

I noticed on Little Toe's JW chat thread talk of learning new slang words. It got me to thinking we should all share some local or personal sayings so we can all understand each other better. And who knows, with so many people here from all over the world, you could start an international catchphrase of the week!

So here it goes, from my local Northern Minnesota area:

1- UFF DA (oof dah) means a variety of things- oops, wow, that was heavy, what a good meal I can't eat another bite. In a sentence: "UFF DA, that was a good lunch."

2- Wah! (wah) shortened form of the Ojibwe word Ho Wa (hoe wah) means- Wow! In a sentence: "My grandpa left my grandma for a 17 year old." "Wah!"

3- ba nung (bah nuhung) means doesn't work in ojibwe. When used in in reference to a male it means impotent. In a sentence: "That ba nung man is late for our date again." "The ba nung freezer has left my ice cream soft!""Why don't you come out with me tonight baby, that ba nung man of yours won't even know."

4- roostin' (roosting) means throwing a rooster tail of dirt behind your vehicle as you drive recklessly usually while drinking heavily. In a sentence: "Whoo! Let's go roostin' I just got new mud tires for my truck and a case of Pig's Eye!" Pig's Eye is cheap local beer.

5- roostin' in da pits (roosting in dah pits) means throwing a rooster tail of dirt behind your vehicle as you drive recklessly in a sand/gravel pit. It also implies a keg party to follow in said gravel pit. In a sentence: "Whoo let's go roost in da pits" "Ya sure I got a keg and a couple bottles of mad dog!" Mad Dog or MD 20/20 is very caustic grape wine.

6- Ya sure you betcha (yah-sure-yoo-bet-chah) made famous by the Coen brother's movie Fargo. means yes but of course. In a sentence: "Ya wanna go roostin' we can leave that ba nung man of yours at home?""Wah! Yah sure you betcha!"

7- Swampy (swampee) means foul smelling city folk who've just been camping for two weeks without bathing once. They perceive themselves to be in a remote wilderness outpost and think they are fitting in in their disheveled smelly state. "There are too many swampies in the bar, let's go roost in the pits."

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

From Cajunland: Words and phrases even the English speakers understand and use:

Mardi Gras--Fat Tuesday (meaning the last fling before Lent)

Baton Rouge--means red stick. Name for the capital of Louisiana.

La Louisiane--Louisiana

Beignets--Squared doughnuts with no holes in the center that are fried and then topped with powdered sugar. These are famous in the French Quarter in New Orleans. Of course, you must have a cup of "cafe au lait" (a half-and -half mixture of hot chicory coffee and hot milk) with your doughnuts. Pain perdu-- (lost bread, so named because the French toast is made with day-old bread that may otherwise be discarded).

Ecrivisse etouffee--smothered crawfish

Boudin--white sausage

Gratons--cracklings or fried pork skins

Chank-a-chank--Cajun music

Grand Derangement--the 18th century deportation and dispersal of Acadians from Nova Scotia.

Paroisse--parish. Louisiana has parishes instead of counties.

Laissez les bons temps rouler. Literally, let the good times roll. In other words, have fun or have a good time.

L'ache pas la patate--don't let go of the potato. Means don't give up.

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

well, everyone i know says "hella" (as in "that was a hella good party) and "fully" (as in "dude i missed that part, i fully wanted to go) and "sketched" (as in "i tried to get my super shy friend to go to that party but she's too sketched). that's all i can think of right now.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Well here in Jersey, when talking about taking a little trip to our darling beaches that kiss the Atlantic, we say, "Yeah, we're going down the shore." Not, we're going to the beach, or going to the shore, but going down the shore, whether you're going to a more northern beach or not.

The word 'tourist' is more than just an identification of people from out of state. It's practically an ethnic slur to us, as in "f*****g tourists are clogging up the Turnpike again!!!"

When we refer to New York City, it is simply, The City. We assume you know what we're talking about. There is Philadelphia to the southeast, and DC further south, but they are more like suburbs of New Jersey. NYC is like an older brother who parties too much.

ash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit