Threating to Sue

by Ding 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding

What is the WT doing these days if someone DAs but threatens to sue if the elders make an announcement that leads to shunning?

I know the elders are supposed to notify the legal department, but what is the legal department telling them to do?

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

It happened in my congregation with a suicide threat, no judicial action taken. Not sure about a lawsuit threat.

• Overrated
    Overrated

When I was thinking about returning to Gee-hober, I had two elders at my home talking and discussing my personal life and what I need to do to return to Gee-hober. Little did they know I had a lawyer in the other room working on another project. Not remembering what was asked or said but the lawyer overheard something that just was not on the level and he called them out on it. They could not get out of there fast enough. My lawyer advised not to have any dealing with them and their organization.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Shepherd (2019) doesn't say what the legal department does, it just orders the elders to call them if someone threatens to sue (Ch. 15:18-20). They're also told not to comment on the case if it does go to court.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I suspect they drop it. I mentioned stopping by a brothers home one day in service, no deal. I knew he was not making meetings, had health issues, and ran afoul of one if the moocher elders. I still talk to him if I see him at wallywirld. I think he had legal help disassociating or asked for a lawyer by the way they acted.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Whatever did Sue do to you???

• hoser
    hoser
    Vidiot7 hours ago

Whatever did Sue do to you???

She gave me the runaround.

• pontoon
    pontoon
    I can remember 3 local judicial cases when I was an elder when the accused threatened legal action to not be DF'd. All 3 times legal told us to drop it. Accused brothers lost any priviledges including answering at wat. study and in one case we were threatened and had to call on him at study. That was as far as he went with it, didnt try to get back on the school.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I can recall at least one situation where the service department and/or legal department was called when a disgruntled brother threatened to sue. The elders on the JC were asked if said brother really had the financial ability to afford the costs a lawsuit. He did. Their instructions were to drop the matter and leave it in Joe Hoover’s hands.

Money talks.
  • oppostate
    oppostate

Maybe someone can make this into it's own thread:
    Legal Troubles Ahead
    for the ExJW channel by the second most popular Canadian Apostate, Beroeans.net
    Watch his growing pains broadcast at:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov-1m8d78e0

I can't start a new thread so if someone else would, thank you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit