Diddling, adjusting, changing Doctrines? Why not leave it alone?

by Terry 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

I have kept on asking myself WHY the JW's put targets on themselves by constant diddling with their own Doctrines?

Why not leave it alone?

Mainstream Christianity has FIXED teachings. As you might expect of utterances of an Almighty Deity, no changes are necessary!

Can the same be said of Watchtower teaching? (Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha)

I have a conjecture to offer

1. The Doctrines of Jehovah's Witnesses (Post 1931) began as perversions of Russell's theological opinions.

2. Russell's writings were perversions of mainstream Christian doctrines.

That's 2 strikes already!

3, Finally, what was published during the Rutherford regime was what Fred Franz was ordered/forced/cajoled into producing to prop up his good friend J.F. Rutherford's crackpot schemes, notions, and tomfoolery. After the death of Rutherford, Franz set about trying to "correct" the Judge's strange, unorthodox and just-plain-weird interpretations.

4. Fred Franz's transformations became his private Theology--much of which didn't stand up to practical everyday wear and tear in the real world!

We might say without fear of error, THE TRUTH was pretty much whatever momentary whim Fred Franz coughed up like a hairball.

I would assert this set a foundation of principle:

EVERYTHING is up for grabs

Brother Raymond Franz has told us he believed that all the Watchtower leaders were "captives of a concept" which he explained was circular reasoning. "We are guided by Jehovah's holy spirit. We are the only TRUE religion."

With that self-belief, these men just could not help but trim-the-moustache constantly trying to even out the imbalances.

It would be like a poor mother with too many kids and hand-me-down clothes in constant need of repair. Watchtower Doctrines are basically just that: Hand-Me-Downs! I'll fitting, awkward, and always out of fashion.

FREE FOR ALL

After the death of the Watchtower Society's "oracle," there was a free-for-all approach to just about anything that caught a GB member's personal fancy. Much of it centered on discipline, enforcement, and a proliferation of hardcore pronouncements (rules) leading to disfellowship.

So many patches have been sewed on the same fabric, there really is not any "there" there!

The entire constructed Doctrine is held together by assertions of authority and appeals to intricate fallacies. Each new GB member can have a go at it.

What then?

YOU'VE GOT IT ALL WRONG

Very smart outside JW's all over the world have been writing and mailing treatises CORRECTING the errors of the WT leaders for decades.

These "corrections" annoy the hell out of the GB, of course. It's clearly no vote of confidence to be told, "You've got it all wrong."

So, the GB go into defensive / offensive overdrive.
    Result?

Those outside (helpful) critical writers (Carl Olaf Jonsson, et al) are made out to be enemies and everybody in the respective congregation who has read a copy of the "corrections" got singled out for quarantine, Inquisition, and possible extinction.

Afterward--the writing committee went into overdrive again and again gently tweaking, repairing, "adjusting" and obliterating the (now) obvious mistakes. All of this silently, stealthily, of course.

FORCED CHANGES

The most recent GB's overhaul of this religion is proof positive of at least one thing. THEY ALL agree it was a mess that needed cleaning up!

This is why a steady drumbeat has been pounding for 45 years or so. LOYALTY

LOYALTY, fealty, solidarity and unquestioning obedience is demanded.

This makes it impossible for a "thinking" JW with curiosity about ridiculous changes (overlapping generations) to stand up and ask for clarification. They are soon marked.

I would go so far as to say, most of the BLOOD doctrine changes have been driven by two things:

1. Letters and phone calls from desperate people.

2. Legal problems in foreign countries.

You can be certain too of the obvious need for forced changes stemming from the lawsuits and investigations into Pedophile cover-ups.

If JW's had genuine Divine Truth directly from Scriptures and Holy Spirit--ask yourself why it would ever be necessary to amend, adjust, correct and flip-flop any of it?
    We change our underwear for obvious reasons.

Maybe the Watchtower Truth doctrines keep changing for a similar reason. They all amount to a brown, fragrant stain on the reputation of Jehovah.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Religion is an organized agreement to a set of lies brought to you with a loving warm and welcoming smile.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

"Mainstream Christianity has FIXED teachings."

I don't think so. The various christian sects and divisions have (as I understand it) a near 2000 year history of being at variance about their teachings and of changing, refining and adapting their teachings.

And what do you include as 'mainstream'?

• Hecce
    Hecce
    I think the members of the GB are on an ego trip and they cannot be any less than the previous ones, if they fiddle around they have to fiddle too.
  • Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

"As you might expect of utterances of an Almighty Deity, no changes are necessary!"

The fact that changes have been made might lead one to question the existence of an almighty deity and the nature of such utterances - in relation to all religions.

• Terry
    Terry

"Mainstream Christianity has FIXED teachings."

I don't think so. The various christian sects and divisions have (as I understand it) a near 2000 year history of being at variance about their teachings and of changing, refining and adapting their teachings.

And what do you include as 'mainstream'?

Mainstream = not cult

Cults, by reason of their non-orthodoxy, run into problems requiring adjustment.

The Mormons had to have a convenient "Revelation" to allow blacks into the Priesthood, for example.
    JW's run into foreign governments accusing them of this and that and the policy changes to avoid conflict.

Catholic Doctrine has remained pretty constant. The changes which have come as a result of Science (apology to Galileo, acceptance of Evolution) and scholarly discovery (acknowledging certain Saints didn't exist) have not shaken core beliefs of Salvation or Magisterium.

Jehovah's Witnesses and the World Wide Church of God, are examples of extreme makeovers. Internal dysfunction forces external modification.

When the taxing of literature came up--the policy changed to "free literature" and probably started a snowball down a mountain somewhere leading eventually to today's ATM's in the Kingdom Hall :)

The Roman Catholic Church remained the same for about a millennium and a half before the Protestant Reformation force them into their own housekeeping.

The Protestant rethink led to denominations perforce of its openness to God's Divine guidance. Sola Scriptura (the man of God, one Bible, Holy Spirit) was a theory which got disproved very quickly! Apparently God "led" 40,000 different truth-oriented directions!

Denominations are like city-states with a larger landscape. Everybody claims to be Christian without each atom, proton, electron being the same configuration on their chart of elements. (To strain a bad analogy).

• Terry
    Terry

"As you might expect of utterances of an Almighty Deity, no changes are necessary!"

The fact that changes have been made might lead one to question the existence of an almighty deity and the nature of such utterances - in relation to all religions.

Religion, in my way of thinking, is like the MARVEL universe. You have a certain set of parameters which all the characters must align with in order to fit the scheme.
    (an Almighty Deity, rather than The Almighty Deity.)

For me to speak of Christianity, I have to--from time to time--accept the rules of their mindset in order to be authentic to their logic scheme inside that context (rather than outside the mythos as an external nay-saying critic.)

JW's theology fits inside the CHRISTIAN mythos as Don Quixote inside the romantic fiction universe. They are seemingly idiots with good intentions tilting at windmills for the honor of Dulcinea (Jehovah's honor).

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I think that you're thinking too narrowly here - and too recently.

Some examples:

The original sect was (IIRC) a jewish messianic apocalyptic sect. Was changed to include gentiles and allow non-adherence to jewish laws.

Major differences between 'originals?' and gnostics.

Adaptations to facilitate adoption by roman empire.

Partial agreement of beliefs not until 4th century - but other branches/sects held to their own views.

Great Schism about 1000 years ago between RC church and Orthodoxy (still exists and keenly felt). Orthodox churches believe RC church left the truth.

Divisions within Orthodox church re autonomy and within RC church re papal succession.

And all of that's before we get to the precursors to protestantism, 500 or so years ago.

It's a similar situation in many religions. Buddhism, for example ( a much older religion) and islam (a much newer one).

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I think that JWs, like Mormons and others, portray/show their origins as relatively new religions from a relatively new country.

I have some thoughts on that.

• naazira
    naazira
    They don't have fixed teachings because it's a way of weeding out the disloyal ones. Only those who are truly loyal will remain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit