Another family needlessly torn apart

by Visitor1984 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• Visitor1984
    Visitor1984

I'm feeling very angry tonight as I watched my mother in law end her relationship with my husband, her son, tonight. We were happily inactive, enjoying a distant but decent relationship with my in laws until they saw some Christmas decorations and everything changed. I spent two hours getting drilled on whether my husband and I celebrate holidays, to be told that my laws won't socialize with us anymore. Now that I'm completely out of that religion I realize how pathetic it is. I watched as my mother in law blamed her son for "doing this to her" The woman ended her relationship with her only child because she feels like its what God requires of her. He's a wonderful husband and father, but none of that matters because of a tree. A tree.

I'm posting this to vent my anger and for any lurkers. I lurked for a long time too. This religion does not reflect normal loving family behavior. If it doesn't feel right, follow your gut, it probably isn't.

• Chook
    Chook

The mother in law is truly misguided, she is actually doing you a favour so your husband doesn't have to hear the cult policy. It's not easy but only look forward there is a reason front windscreen on a car is 50 times bigger than the rear view mirror. Your life will certainly have an accident if the focus is behind. The tearing apart of families is a JW legacy. This forum is good therapy and the variety of advice let's you make informed decisions. JW have flat earth syndrome, most on here see this religion now from outer space , we KNOW the shape of earth.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I'm sorry, Visitor1984, for this unfortunate turn of events.

Many of us have already dealt with similar years ago, yet it still hurts. Somehow, though, we have moved on through the pain, realizing that we, too, once behaved in the same manner. I miss my family and friends.

May you find peace.

• zeb
    zeb

and by doing this she can wallow in the mock sympathy of all the other elder sisters of her tribe. wt mothers aargh!

My empathy goes to you but it their loss. Next time she comes the anti with you tell her you have shunned her. This is the instruction given by Br Spinks at the ARC on the 10th.

• Visitor1984
    Visitor1984

Thank you for the kind words. And Compound Complex I accidently disliked your comment in an effort to erase my 3 accidental extra likes. Obviously, this doesn't work quite like facebook.

• smiddy
    smiddy

According to Spinks and O`Brien @ the ARC its your fault they are shunning you or rather by your action of having a tree in your house you are shunning them because you knew the consequences of your action..?

How does one reason with such stupidity !

We feel for you and your hubby visitor1984 , its their loss not yours.In time you will probably see it as a blessing in disguise.

Take care

• compound complex
    compound complex

That's OK, Visitor!

An accidental three likes is a nice mistake!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I'm posting this to vent my anger and for any lurkers. I lurked for a long time too. This religion does not reflect normal loving family behavior. If it doesn't feel right, follow your gut, it probably isn't.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm sorry to hear about your mother in law. You have every reason to be angry, and never forget that you guys are the ones with the right set of morals. I hope things change for the better in the future.

You are venting your anger and not asking for advice or suggestions, so I'll just offer you a hug.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There is really not a two way street of respect with JWS, it does happen in other religions but the JWS has such a high control over its members to repel nonbelievers even family.

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

Since the Memorial is coming up, suggest to your husband that he should partake. Once word gets out that your husband is anointed, it will be one hell of a shock for his mother! And he can tell her that, when he had his "vision" or whatever it is that tells someone they're anointed, God didn't say one word to him about holidays. The Watchtower society has no qualms with lying to the sheeple, so he shouldn't feel guilty doing the same. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit