She displayed a literature cart in front of my house: That does it for me!

by Tempest in a Teacup 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup
    Is this something they've asked them to do? Cart Displays in front of their homes?
    My mom is only in her mid 60s so I'm quite sure this is not an issue of mental illness.
    The only illness she's suffering from is boredom since she's refused to work for years now. My mother virtually spends EVERY waking hour reading and listening to wt material.
    I don't know for how long this display thingy has been going on. She casually mentioned it this morning as she was telling me of a (non-jw related) discussion she had with someone while sitting there.
    I was mortified. The thought of my mother sitting on a chair by a table full of wt stuff in front of my house is simply mortifying for me. Heck, I moved to this area barely 2 months ago and don't want to pass as a weirdo.
    I did not tell her anything on the spot because I want to clarify this situation in all calmness and tell her in a clear and concise way that home cart display is uncalled for and unacceptable in my house.
    I'm going away for the weekend and will talk to her when I return. Any suggestions as to how to convey the message effectively?
    In case this will help: I stopped attending meetings a year ago.
  • Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

"Disappear" the cart and all the stock for it. Rinse and repeat if it gets replaced.

But if this is her house and you are living with her then move out, if reasoning with her wont work. (it wont)

• Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup
    It's my house and she forcefully moved in to live with me.
  • Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Well that sounds like she doesnt understand social norms and personal space (your home your rules). That could be a personality trait or creeping mental illness.

Lay down the law.

• alanv
    alanv
    Why not set up a chair next to hers, and if anyone shows any interest in the cart, just tell them to avoid it as JWs break up families or something similar. They will soon move I think.
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

JWs know nothing about respecting personal boundaries because their religion teaches them they don't have any. They can be told how to live every personal aspect of their lives by an organization and their conduct is policed by elders.

You need to introduce your mother to the concept of personal boundaries now! If she forcibly moved into your house then she has no respect for you whatsoever, you need to teach her to respect you. It's not going to be easy but the sooner you start the better.

• carla
    carla

When you were little it was her house and her rules, now the roles have reversed and it is your house and your rules. In fact, a rule of no jw literature lying around the house could be helpful as well. What she does in her room is her business but the rest of the house should be a neutral zone. If she insists on leaving jw crap all around the house perhaps it is time for you to leave around the C of C book, 'Reaching jw's in Love' book, Steve Hassan's (sp?) books, printouts from the ARC and so on.

I realize it is mom and all but you still have rights in your home when you are footing the bill.

Tell her no preaching to immediate neighbors either or she will have to find other accommodations. Maybe someone from the kh will take her in (unlikely).

• Simon
    Simon
    It's my house and she forcefully moved in to live with me.

Then you make the rules. Kick the cart out, if she doesn't like it kick her out.

You would be well within your rights to mandate no cult literature be brought to your house.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

What alanv said - great mental picture! Have some flyers with info about the Australian investigation and abuse court cases, and how wt doesn't deserve their tax free status, etc. "Jehovah's Witnesses- a Cult and a Scourge"

Jeez, passive aggressive bullsh!t pours out of that hypocrite incubator like a river. Hope you get the pollution cleaned up from your property!

Marina

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

this is just too funny for words.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit