"back in the day people didn't know not to abuse kids"- a jw explanation for their abuse scandal

by purrpurr 49 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

If they didn't know it was wrong, why take all the trouble to cover it up?

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Finkelstein4 hours ago
    Joe there is plenty that can be down loaded on the Net, You Tube for example

I have tried all that. I really really have. But it has got me nothing but been called an apostate, and cut off. Like I said it won't be until it goes front page Wt that the R&F will finally accept it, and I'd bet anything when they do the perception of this will be how loving and kind and transparent Wt is. In my local area I'd be guessing 99% would be totally oblivious to what's going on.

• sparky1
    sparky1

"they told me that in the 50s-80s people didn't know about child abuse.....even worldly people" - a fellow JW

purrpurr, you can tell that witness that he/she is full of BULLSHIT. Typical Jehovah's Witness reaction to something that they would rather not face up to; making a sweeping generalization that has NO basis in FACT in order to defend their weak position. I had a great uncle ( who was not a Jehovah's Witness) that was molesting children and family members since the 1920's! Each time he was caught, he was sent to prison for 'lewd and unnatural acts against a child' ( I could not tell you the exact law and statute) After he would serve his time for a particular sentence, he would repeat his CRIME and be sent back to prison; he died in prison in the late 1970's after spending the majority of his adult life behind bars. The issue of child abuse in society has been known about since the beginning of time but has only been faced squarely and brought out into the open in about the last 40 years.

• blondie
    blondie

My jw mother said that there was nothing in the bible saying that sex with children was wrong....so she allowed my father to molest his children. Similar responses by other older jws. So people need a law in the bible or an article in a WT publication to know that it is wrong?

Romans 2:14-15

For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

"They told me that in the 50s-80s people didn't know about child abuse, didn't know it was wrong..."

REALLY?

Then how do they explain these articles, published in "AWAKE!" magazine?

"The deputy chief of the Children's Bureau of the United States Department of Health, Education and Welfare expressed the concern that many persons are feeling about parental cruelty. This public official stated: "While child abuse is no new problem to the Children's Bureau, our deep concern today is motivated by its apparent increase and by its particularly violent nature." -- "PARENTS CAN BE CRUEL" AWAKE!, page 13, April 8, 1963

"Corruption Widespread

The Church of England is not the only religion beset with these moral problems. On August 5, 1960, in Edinburg, Texas, a young Roman Catholic priest was charged with attempted rape of a 20-year old college girl as she knelt to pray in the Sacred Heart Church. On December 3, 1960, the Des Moines Register reported that Roman Catholic priest Lawrence Dudink, 47, pleaded guilty in court to a charge of abducting a 17-yearold girl from St. Mary's Hospital in Superior, Wisconsin. The police found the priest and the girl in a two-room motel cabin in Phoenix, Arizona. -- "Is Religion Dying?, "AWAKE!, page 8, March 22, 1962

• Wayward
    Wayward

The way I see it, the greatest evil in this world isn't actually doing something evil. It's sitting back, watching evil being done, and choosing to ignore it. Worse, knowing it's happening and actively covering it up. So WT and all JWs who prefer to bury your heads up your butts when it comes to baby rapers in your ranks, YOU ARE EVIL.

• steve2
    steve2

Their response was quite amazing. They told me that in the 50s-80s people didn't know about child abuse, didn't know it was wrong and no one really believed children when they claimed they had been abused - even worldly people.

They said that alot of the time children lie about being abused or therapists plant false memories in their heads and that apostates lie about being abused to undermine our faith.

When the JWs said this, did you ask whether they were at heart Catholics or JWs? Those sentiments have been uttered by people of all religious backgrounds, including notably the Roman Catholic Church. All it proves is that religious organizations are needing the weight of secular law to comply with best-practice regarding responding to child sex abuse in their ranks.

Funny that it takes secular organizations to show the way on how to do this. Perhaps that's because, unlike religious organizations, secular authorities genuinely do put children's safety first, whereas religious groups put first their reputations.

Note: Rarely, if ever, has JW literature or JW.org called child sexual abuse a crime; instead, they call it "a sin" - tell me that's not watering down the evil of child sexual abuse. If they started framing the abuse as a crime, they'd be making it plain to the rank and file that it is reportable to secular authorities, regardless of what local laws state.

• steve2
    steve2

Absolutely spot on Nathan Natas!

For decades, Awake and other JW publications lavishly condemned the churches of Christendom over child sexual abuse cases. They continued doing this up until a couple of years ago...but nothing since in their publications about other religious groups shocking records.

Even jw org must have realized that to continue pointing the accusatory finger at other religious movements in the face of their own troubles over lax child protection policies was inviting even greater problems for the organization.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I don't think there is an increase of child sexual abuse within the JW religion its just now days this problem has come out into the open through public awareness, within the JW religion and all others as well.

Are JWs pressed to lie or pretend that their religion was immune to having instances of child sexual abuse within their organization ? of course that's a responsible indoctrinated role enforced and influenced into every JWS.

They are god's chosen organization unlike those others who apart of false religion.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

A few weeks back I showed the guardian article about the Borg refusing to cooperate with the charity commission into child abuse to a fellow jw. Their response was quite amazing. They told me that in the 50s-80s people didn't know about child abuse, didn't know it was wrong and no one really believed children when they claimed they had been abused - even worldly people.

The WatchTower Invented Everything.....Including the Human Brain..

People didn`t have Brains,until WatchTower invented them in 1990..

The WatchTowers Governing Body were the 1st to get Brains..

Stephen Lett...............................................Stephen Lett with a Brain..

Without a Brain..........................*OMG!!..Why Are There Words In My Head?!*

Image result for Watchtower stephen lett....Image result for Watchtower stephen lett

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit