Highlights from Book Studies: Other Sheep & Disfellowshipping

by neat blue dog 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

A couple of highlights from recent "Congregation Bible Studies" (Book Studies):

In one chapter of the Jesus book, they spin the part that disproves the "earthly hope" into saying the exact opposite of what is obvious:

“Most truly I say to you, I am the door for the sheep. All those who have come in place of me are thieves and plunderers; but the sheep have not listened to them. I am the door; whoever enters through me will be saved, and that one will go in and out and find pasturage.”​—John 10:7-9.
    Clearly, Jesus is introducing something new. His listeners know that he is not the door to the Law covenant, which has existed for centuries. So he must be saying that the sheep he ‘leads out’ are to enter another sheepfold. With what result?
    Jesus does not end the matter there, though. He observes: “I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those too I must bring in, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock, one shepherd.” (John 10:16) These “other sheep” are “not of this fold.” Hence, they must be of yet another fold, different from the “little flock” who will inherit the Kingdom. These two folds, or pens of sheep, have different destinies.

As long as they're using the word "clearly", what's really clear is that Jesus is saying that the sheep come from two different folds (almost everyone knows this to be Jews and non-Jews), but then it plainly says EVERYONE enters through the ONE door of Jesus to become ONE flock. However they reverse the origination and the destination, saying they will end up in two different places as two flocks, contradicting scripture.

Now onto another chapter, about the blind man who was healed by Jesus but then thrown out of the synagogue:

The Pharisees cannot accept that Jesus gave sight to the man who was born blind, so they call in his parents. The parents know that they face the possibility of being “expelled from the synagogue.” (John 9:22) Such cutting off of fellowship from other Jews would have severe social and economic consequences for the family.
    The Pharisees ask two questions: “Is this your son who you say was born blind? How, then, does he now see?” The parents reply: “We know that this is our son and that he was born blind. But how it is that he now sees, we do not know; or who opened his eyes, we do not know.” Even if their son had told them what had happened, the parents are cautious as to how they respond and say: “Ask him. He is of age. He must speak for himself.”​—John 9:19-21.
    Hence, the Pharisees call the man back and intimidate him by claiming that they have evidence against Jesus.

This story is then applied to JWs getting 'persecuted' out in service or otherwise having a hard time. But the far more obvious correlation is disfellowshipping! They must be totally un-self-aware to write these paragraphs, because it sounds like a condemnation of their own practices, right down to the social consequences, intimidation and looking for evidence.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow
    neat blue dog - As long as they're using the word "clearly",

Along with "evidently", and one other i cant remember = ALL THAT FOLLOWS IS BULL SHIT!

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

I think they know exactly what they are saying. They are saying the faithful get disfellowshipped and they know it because that is what they are doing. Just look what happened to Ray Franz, let alone ones like myself and plenty of others.

They are also saying if you are a coward like the parents, shut up or else you get'll get chucked out. The Word of God is a double edged sword getting to the truth. The Watchtower is a double-barrel economic, psycho-sociological mind-trap threatening you to shut up and go along with a pack of lies. Abandon your intellect and integrity or else.

• sir82
    sir82

They must be totally un-self-aware to write these paragraphs,

Oh it's far worse than that.

They are fully aware of the difference between what those verses clearly express, vs. their (the WTS's) explanation.

They are intentionally and cynically misleading their adherents because (1) it benefits themselves and (2) they know they can get away with it.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Back when I first started questioning the WTS, I decided to read the New Testament (using the NWT) straight through, without the use of any WT publication. That was the point I decided they were completely wrong.

The cherry picking of verses and putting their spin on them out of context is masterful. What's ironic to me is that's exactly what they accuse other Christian denominations of doing. And, while they are right to an extent, it seems the WT does it more than mainstream Christianity.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    Back when I first started questioning the WTS, I decided to read the New Testament (using the NWT) straight through, without the use of any WT publication. That was the point I decided they were completely wrong.

Yes, me too! That was THE turning point.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Now, that's funny.

Even tweaking their own Bible isn't enough to hide the fact that they're full of shit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit