Lets hear what your local needs was about this week

by dbq407 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

That figure is out of date already, too many births since you posted it, several thousand !

We have some friends who moved in just down the road last November, for certain reasons someone is always at home, they have yet to be called on.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse
    I can count on one hand, maaaaybe two, how many times my neighborhood has been called on, or at least how many times I have either seem them or actually had a knock at the door. I have lived in this same house for 25 years. This is not a remote neighborhood. Actually about two miles from a major highway.
  • steve2
    steve2

In the early to mid-1970s, my home town territory was completely covered every few weeks.

Yes, every few weeks! It got to the stage where people would begin to say, "You people were here last month...:" and we'd nod, smiling widely saying, "That's how important our message is" and plough straight in with the latest offer.

Nowadays, the local JWs barely cover the very same territory twice a year, if that. I would say they "struggle" to cover it twice a year, but the verb, "struggle" is a total over-statement. And that about sums up the attitude of modern-day JWs. Neither motivated nor vigorous with their message.

And the absolute number one zeal killer? Literature trolleys.

You just set it up and forget it as you idle away your time chatting with your fellow believer oblivious to the passersby who are just as oblivious to you in return. Surely a win-win for everyone, JW and passersby alike!

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    Back to the OP, in my cong. the local needs was about, How to beat a bully with out using your fists. It was a video by the you know who. Faithful slave, a cartoon about how to beat the bully with out using your fists. It was an OK video, but rather bland. Afterward it was a question and answer session. Yuck.
  • TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"I have no idea why they would park their car and then walka ways to visit other homes. I figured they were on my street a total of 45 minutes, with at least 15-20 being spent inside their car."

Exactly. You have no ideas. Perhaps one of them received an urgent phone call from in deep trouble. Perhaps they made the appointment with her that she would be at her home in half an hour. Perhaps they decided they would make a couple of return visits before they hurried to her home. Lots of things could take place, but you don't know anything about it, you have no ides. But still you make your assumptions. It's way easier to make assumptions about things we are ignorant.

Shame on me, for being so harsh.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie
    Couple of words fell out, "urgent phone call from in deep trouble" should be "urgent phone call from someone in deep trouble" . Fingers are slower than brain today.
  • sir82
    sir82

Why are preaching methods that are clearly ineffective still being encouraged?

Because field service is not "about" being effective.

It is primarily about (a) making JWs feel important (b) keeping JWs busy, (c) (probably most important) it serves as the principal standard to judge someone's "spirituality" when appointing MS or elders.

Time-wasting, ineffective methods are just as good as any other methods to accomplish the above. Better, in fact, because if you continue to be ineffective, you are not obligated to take on the responsibility of "conducting a Bible study".

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane
    I wasn't there but let's see what could it been about?...... Do more, Give more, not enough, never enough.....comment more, preach more, fear God....................he might kill you,........... Don't forget God is love.
  • dbq407
    dbq407
    I still think mailing out thousands of flyers like some other religions would actually be more effective and cost saving, and time saving than driving around all day talking to a couple people. It would also cut down on pollution, which is more important than the message they are trying to spread :)
  • Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

If Jesus message was simply, "believe and be saved", why not go door to door and just ask the people if they believe? If they say yes, all done. Don't need to go there again. If they say no, tell them they are gonna die at the big A unless they believe. The householder can then change their mind.

That method could save time and printing cost for all that watered down shit the dubs print.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit