Is there a Will..?

by zeb 3 Replies latest jw friends

• zeb
    zeb

Have begun to update my will.

For some who have very severe divisions in family it would be a good idea to avoid orgs or undesirable relatives claiming part of your estate and more to the point making sure it goes to what or who you wish it too.

Live long and prosper in wisdom.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I don't know if you can make an iron clad Will. My MIL had a Will and left a generous portion to her two sons with added protection of "if anyone contests this Will they will be eliminated". One contested. Her lawyer said that anyone can contest a Will.

• under the radar
    under the radar

Maybe anyone can contest a will, but that doesn't mean they'll be successful.

I've heard of wills that say that anyone who contests it will be disinherited, but I don't know whether that has been test in court or not. My own will says that anyone who contests it will have their bequest reduced to $1 and the remainder of their previous bequest distributed proportionately to the other heirs. My lawyer says it will hold up, but I guess I will never know.

Either way, it's better to have a will you think may be contested that to not have one at all. If you can afford it, it is often better to give gifts to your loved ones before your death. No one can contest a gift given during your lifetime, unless they claim it was given under duress or undue influence.

There will always be people with their hands out, ready to take whatever they can from whomever they can.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

ANYONE can jump off their roof, too, but that doesn't mean they'll be delighted with the outcome.

Get the assistance of a lawyer who specializes in wills and Estate Planning, and tell them why you want your will to be titanium-reinforced kevlar. Be honest with them.

On the other hand, you might be able to get The Watchtower Bible & Tract Society to help you write a will for free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit