Evolution is a Fact #11 - Tiktaalik

by cofty 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

One of the biggest gulfs that life has had to cross was the transition from sea to dry land.

Fish have conical shaped heads, reptiles have flat heads. Fish have no necks; their heads are attached to their shoulders by a series of bony plates. Land-dwelling animals all have necks; their heads can move independently of their shoulders. Fish have scales and fins, land animals have limbs with fingers, toes wrists and ankles. Fish use gills to breathe under water, land-living animals have lungs to breathe air.

These sound like insurmountable problems, but if evolution is true there must have been creatures that made the leap successfully. In 2004 Neil Shubin and his team set themselves the challenge of finding exactly this transitional fossil. What they discovered was astonishing.

Their success was not entirely down to good luck. The critical time period was already known. Fossils from rocks 385 million years old all look like fish, younger rocks dated at 365 million years old reveal fossils that are all recognisably amphibian or reptile. To find a relative of the transitional species between fish and land-dwelling animals Shubin knew he had to concentrate on rocks that were 375 million years old, preferably laid down in an ancient river or stream and which were now exposed on the surface.

Initially Shubin and his colleague Ted Daeschler were looking at Alaska and the Yukon as a potential site but when Daeschler examined a geological map he came across a diagram that that in Shubin’s words took their breath away. It showed a region in of the Canadian Arctic that fulfilled all the criteria they were looking for. It had a large layer of exposed Late Devonian rock of exactly the right age. The rock had been formed in a freshwater delta and even better it was previously unexplored by vertebrate paleontologists.

In the end it took four expeditions to Ellesmere Island over a period of six years to find what they were looking for, but when they did it exceeded all expectations. It would hardly be possible to make up a fossil more perfect as a transition between fish and land-living animals than Tiktaalik.

Like a fish it has scales on its back, gills and fins with webbing for paddling. Unlike any fish it has a flat head with eyes on top like a crocodile as well as sharp teeth and well developed jaws. It also has ribs, lungs enabling it to breathe out of water as well as a neck that allowing it to move its head independently of its shoulders.

The most interesting feature of Tiktaalik is in the bones inside its front fins. As well as fish-like ray bones it has an arrangement of sturdy bones that you would recognise from any tetrapod alive today. Think about the bones of your limbs, we have a large bone – humerus or femur; two smaller bones – radius and ulna or tibia and fibula; a collection of smaller bones – carpals or tarsals and then our digits – fingers or toes. All limbed creatures from whales to penguin to birds and horses have variations of the same basic arrangement. Here, 375 million years ago was a descendant of a fish that had already evolved this body plan. The joints are all there too with a shoulder, elbow and wrist.

When the details were studied more closely something astonishing was discovered. The structure of the bones in Tiktaalik’s wrist indicated that he could do push-ups. The elbow was capable of bending like ours and the wrist could bend so the lower end of the limb was flat on the ground. Close examination of the shoulder bones and the underside of the upper arm revealed massive crests and scars where large pectoral muscles attached.

Imagine Tiktaalik, up to 9 feet long in shallow pools surrounded by even bigger predators. It was a fish-eat-fish world. One survival strategy was to get bigger and get armour, Tiktaalik stumbled on an alternative – get out the water.

Look at your hand, open and close your fingers, flex your wrist back and forward. You are using joints that first appeared inside the fins of a fish like Tiktaalik.

This is only one story about transitional species - there are plenty more. The lineages leading to modern whales and horses are particularly rich in transitional forms. What makes this story so amazing is that Shubin and his team didn’t just stumble on Tiktaalik. They used what was already known about evolution and geology to make a prediction. They knew that the transition from fish to land happened 375 million years ago. They knew where rocks of this age were to be found and they went to that place and found precisely what they predicted must exist.

Contrary to creationist claims there is an embarrassment of riches of fossils but Tiktaalik ranks as an A-List celebrity in the zoo of ancient creatures.

Part 1 - Protein Functional Redundancy -------- Part 2 - DNA Functional Redundancy
    Part 3 - ERVsPart 4 - Smelly Genes
    Part 5 - Vitamin CPart 6 - Human Chromosome 2
    Part 7 - Human Egg Yolk GenePart 8 - Jumping Genes
    Part 9 - Less Chewing More ThinkingPart 10 - Non-Coding DNA
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good info.

Yes, it's interesting that the paleontologists used their knowledge of the age of various deposits and the pattern of fossils found in them.

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri
    ' ...These sound like insurmountable problems, but if evolution is true there must have been creatures that made the leap successfully. In 2004 Neil Shubin and his team set themselves the challenge of finding exactly this transitional fossil....

In the end it took four expeditions to Ellesmere Island over a period of six years to find what they were looking for, but when they did it exceeded all expectations. It would hardly be possible to make up a fossil more perfect as a transition between fish and land-living animals than Tiktaalik... They knew that the transition from fish to land happened 375 million years ago. They knew where rocks of this age were to be found and they went to that place and found precisely what they predicted must exist..."

A fossil that proves, overwhelmingly, the evolutionary transition from sea to land forms. Wow. Imagine that. Of course there's always going to be some peons that don't accept this amazing body of evidence. Massive.

And that critter Tiktaalik.

'...Tiktaalik stumbled on an alternative – get out the water...'

What a forward thinker that Tiktaalik. " If I'm gonna survive I gotta git outa this here water. Yessiree Bob."

Mountains of evidence. Mountains.

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri
    ' Well I obviously can't keep living in this here water and still survive. What to do. What to do. Hey, wait, what is that over yonder? Looks like no water. Maybe I could sashay over there and survive. But wait. This here body of mine lives in this here water just fine. If I'm going to live on that rock with no water I better start rearranging myself. Yessiree Bob. Tiktaalik, you is one smart reptile.'
  • Mephis
    Mephis

"There's no transitional fossils"

"We found some!"

"Those don't count because you were looking for them and predicted beforehand where they'd be found."

"We're off to play chess with pigeons"

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

" ... Pops, tell us again about great, great, great Grandpa Tiktaalik..."

"... Well, like I said, when Grandpa Tiktaalik was growing up it was a fish-eat-fish world. Now even though Grandpa Tiktaalik and all his relatives were pretty big boys themselves, and even though they did their share of eatin' smaller fish, it seems Grandpa and his cousins were gettin' ate a little too regular. Now the customary plan, when being chased by a predator, was to swim like hell. That didn't always work. Some figured they would find hidin' places to keep safe. That only works until you get hungry and have to come out for somethin' to eat. When they did.... well.... they got ate. Seems Grandpa Tiktaalik finally put 2 and 2 together and said to himself.

'If them predators live in water and chase us in water and eat us in water it seems I should be removing the one thing from the equation that makes that possible. The water. I got to get outta this here water.'

So he figured because he couldn't live outside of that thar water the way his body was designed-and-all that he would have to re-design his body. And that's what he commenced to do. He re-designed himself so he could live outside of that thar water and away from them big predators..".

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

The ignorance and arrogance of evolution naysayers astounds me

Evolution is do blatantly obvious and factual yet they always seem to resort to the foolish argument where animals somehow "decided" to change based on conscious thought

Reproduction is everything. Reproduction repeated 100's millions of times. Survival of the fittest so obviously drives evolution (predator & prey) in ways we can see even today over short periods of time

Show me a half human/half monkey! They mock

So rediculous

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

OK then Creationists... let's for one moment presume that evolution is not correct and that Jehovah created each "kind" (whatever that really is) and there has been no transition from one species to another. The fact remains that fossils like Tiktaalik exist. Fossils show countless different life forms, virtually all of which are extinct.

Why? Why does the fossil record not contain examples typical of modern species, especially as you look into older and older rocks?

What reasoning is there for the amount of animal creation apparently evident in the fossil record simply not existing any longer? Was God simply making it easier for Adam to name them all?

• cofty
    cofty

EQV - You are making the teleological error.

I'm glad you did because it gives me a chance to clear up a common misunderstanding.

I will explain later got to rushout to docs,

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

cofty nice op

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit