I went to my girlfriend church service last night

by joe134cd 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I went to my Girlfriends church service last night. Basically it's a pentecostal type church that was started about 2 years ago. For a church that had started just recently, there must of been a congregation of about 20 members. I made enquiries and it usually has an attendance of around 20-30. I thing that struck me was just how quickly it had grown. In all my years as a JW I never witnessed or heard of a congregation that had 20-30 new publishers come out of the territory in less than 24 months. In my 40 years of JWisim I could probably count on 2 hands those that come out of the territory. So my question is "why is this". Is it because JWisim has a tighter control on it members. Because I must admit although my gf goes to church her thoughts are very liberal. I kind of wonder how many go just to listen to the music and socialize, as very few had bibles and I would guess even fewer would know where the books of the bible are - even my gf admitted to me she can't find bible books. For someone who attends church her knowledge is relatively shallow to. I left JWisim about 3 years ago and I find myself explaining simple bible facts to her.

• Robo Bobo
    Robo Bobo

Interestingly, pentacostalism started after Russell's international BS movement, I think 1906? Now there are 220 million followers, Why the fast growth?

Pentecostalism appeals to people who already believe in spirits, snd in some countries where animism is a thing, it does a good job of blending it with christianity. Get a charismatic pastor who can whip up emotions in people, and it will be interpreted as a "spiritual experience."

It appeals to people's pride, because they convince people that they have a specific gift that others outside the faith don't have: "hey, you've been given a gift by the holy spirit! You have to use that gift for the Lord!" (This is similar to jw's "God sees special something in you and that's why he's chosen to reveal truth to you while the world remains ignorant!")

Fun fact: Originally Pentecostals who had the "gift of tongues" were sent out to foreign lands to preach in native languages. Unfortunately they found out that no one on earth understood what they were saying and that they would have to study the languages like everyone else. Thereafter they began to believe they were speaking in "tongues of angels."

• smiddy
    smiddy

I could say you are going from the frying pan into the fire , however it may very well be the other way around ,

you are going from the fire back into the frying pan .

She must be SOME girlfriend.?

smiddy

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    She knows about my JWisim, and I have told her I will never join an organised religion. To be honest it's a once a week thing. I like the fellowship, and I don't find it a bore like the JW meetings.
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Perhaps because there is life/love/joy there and God's Spirit is meeting the needs of people's hearts.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Be careful not to exchange the J-Dubism for another perhaps crazier Christianity-laden cult such a the Pentecostals. Aaaarrrggghhh...........

There are a couple of them in my extended family and their quirks are in parts way crazier than the JW world: Venomous snake handling, mandatory 10% tithing across the board (if you sell your home/car/whatever, 10% goes to the church), their women look awful without proper make-up and nice clothing; their leaders nicely benefit from the $$$ while members live miserably.

Not a good trade agreement for sure. Proceed with much caution....

DY

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

They sure put on a lively show for the religious services. The $$$ price for said shows is too high.

Oh, the 'tongues' claim, is all made up; they have this in common with the WTBTS, you know, making up stuff. Then again, all religions do.

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit