Be ready to obey!!

by kairos 28 Replies latest jw friends

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

They already have - for all intents and purposes - a loyalty oath (in the form of the baptismal questions). Vidiot

True but nothing like Jim Jones loyalty test. Check this out.

Loyalty Test
    In anticipation of an assault, Jones had his followers practice revolutionary suicide, drinking from vats of flavored water which he announced was poisoned. When they survived the “poison” the residents realized it was another test of their loyalty and that they had passed.

• kairos
    kairos

As time passes, it must be mind bending to continue as an honest JW in legit good standing.

The "don't give up" convention theme made my day...

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

Kairos:

I noted the phrase.... "At that time, the life-saving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization..."

The above came across to me as especially conceited. If one takes a look at the conduct of the governing body, their attempts at teaching, their handling of controversy, then how could you possibly look to them for what they say is life saving direction?

The writing committee which authored this particular article was engaging in fantasy and grandiosity. By now, it should be one of those articles which JWs are embarrassed about and do not mention.

The effect of the article may be that of underpinning the perceived authority of the BoE. Many such exemplify Peter Principle as does the GBoJW itself. Who on this website can dismiss the conduct of their BoE as not having had a role in their withdrawal from the organisation.

In my congregation, the local "dukes" are responsible for a significant number becoming inactive and fading!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Reminds me of the announcement at a circuit assembly that we could no longer study just the Bible with people if that's what they wanted. These kind of statements should ring loud warning bells. Why would you follow a direction that doesn't seem sound from a human or strategic perspective? They might might as well say if we tell you to do something stupid just do it.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

It should have read:

"At that time, the life-saving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization (which is not inspired, not infallible and may be wrong)..."

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I heard this when i was still in and a believer. It troubled me. But my cognitive dissonance won over by saying "yeah, like Noah. Like the Israelites at the Red Sea".

Needless to say, looking at it now it's so obviously the most culty thing they've ever said.

• blondie
    blondie

kairos, thanks for bringing this to the top; I have been searching for this quote for several months.

• kairos
    kairos

The whole JW experience is like living while looking through a microscope. ( tunnel vision )

You have no idea what you are seeing until you step back and look at the whole picture.
    Am I right?

• snowbird
    snowbird

You are right, Kairos.

And, once you step back, there is no more marching forward.

That's why WT tries to keep JW's on the go at all times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit