Witnesses' Moral Apathy

by konceptual99 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

One of the hardest things for me to learn about myself as I have mentally exited "da troof" is that I have a weak moral compass and I think this is common to many Witnesses. What do I mean by this?

I mean that as I have allowed less and less of my thinking to be framed by Witness doctrine, I have had to start thinking for myself about how I feel about certain things. For example, what do I feel about war, freedom of speech for extremists, charitable works, political views, animal welfare and much, much more.

This was underlined this weekend when I attended the circuit assembly (approx 900 attendees, 3 baptised - 2 born ins btw) where the Bethel speaker said that Witnesses have booked their ticket out of this system and don't have to worry about the wars and famines of this world because they know it's all going to pass with the New System.

In another thread it's been mentioned that the WTS is failing to mention other groups being marginalised and persecuted in Russia alongside Witnesses.

As a Witness I never realised the extent to which I was blind to the moral dilemmas that most other people have to think about, educate themselves on and come to a point of view about. Of course some people still fail to educate themselves on a matter but Witnesses have their thinking skills muted simply through the deference to the Sky Daddy having "a plan".

This perhaps is one thing when it's something like a political opinion but this also leads to wholesale ignoring of the many, many people who need help in our world. It might be the homeless person in the vicinity of the preaching trolley, the charity needed funds to help a group of under-privileged kids, those displaced by the war in Syria, famine victims in Africa and so on.

The suffering endured on a daily basis by millions of men, women and children becomes a side note, something that can be ticked off as a by product of the future paradise that means they will a wheelbarrow of fruit and a house by a lake.

When I speak to friends and family it is painful to see how easily they dismiss the suffering of others or ignore ethical and moral dilemmas for the sake of convenience simply because they can't even begin to think about this issues raised.

According to the guy from bethel, we are all God's children and loved by him but apparently not so much that he is actually doing something to stop the suffering. His love is limited to giving a handful of the population a free pass to the land of willful ignorance.

They don't have to care since supposedly God does.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

konceptual

This was underlined this weekend when I attended the circuit assembly (approx 900 attendees, 3 baptised - 2 born ins btw) where the Bethel speaker said that Witnesses have booked their ticket out of this system and don't have to worry about the wars and famines of this world because they know it's all going to pass with the New System.

everything is a system for Jehovahs witnesses. get the system of thinking and you have a ticket out of this system.

when we have to think for ourselves we engage our imaginations - put ourselves in other people's shoes, although witnesses do stress this they enclose themselves within a system of thinking too - this always bothered me because I loved to explore people's other ways and would forget for the moment what I was supposed to be teaching them ...

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

By leaving it to God, they absolve themselves of any responsibility for the world around them. Doing nothing is almost virtuous, because it shows faith that Jehovah will make things right, and keeps them from feeling guilty.

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

The org. gives one a sense of security...on this site and so many others....this is mentioned....how they didn't see this or that...or maybe didn't want to see it...because it was uncomfortable...

Witnesses think it's only them that goes through anything...rent, sickness...life in general....I always have to remind them that everyone is going through the same thing we are....but they still don't get it...their reply is always a weak, true....all they talk about is the new system...even if they get a hang nail....ah, can't wait for the new system...weaklings...

Faith is supposed to make one stronger, but not so being a witness...

Again, many have felt the way you do...and it puzzles me because, when I hear something that doesn't seem to sound right and how to treat one another...something pricks me....after I became a witness...it pricks me even more....no matter what they say, you can't tell me that I should care about mankind....that's mean...so now I'm a witness...I want to stay because of the some of the nice conditional friends I've made....but I want to go, because I'm outgrowing the org...so much more that can be done besides...door to door.

Tor

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

This type of thinking is easy to accomplish when you mentally have written off every other person as going to be destroyed at the big A. That's why even within families there is a mental disconnect with one another because if your brother or sister, son or daughter steps out of line, well......you know. They're gonna be aced by the all loving god of the Hebrews.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS mentally creates people into having a socially apathetic indifference to the outside world in all things non-jws.

Instead one should be constantly showing obedient loyalty and loving servitude to the organization which is the only organization that has been chosen by god to save humanity from the soon to come destruction of Armageddon and not be concerned with this secular unrighteous world which is controlled by Satan.

Again the pressing use of fear is the applied mechanism to control people's thoughts and emotions which inevitably will control their social behavior.

The WTS wants people under their servitude which relates to working for the organization such as being an elder, building the organization's facilities, distributing the WTS own publications to the public etc. and your reward will be not getting killed and live on in eternity in Paradise.

In reflection the WTS looks after itself and only itself, the rest of humanity that lives beyond its walls is of little concern.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    don't have to worry about the wars and famines of this world because they know it's all going to pass with the New System.

Really? Then why is there a Writing Campaign to Russia right now?
    Sounds like there is a LITTLE BIT of worry?

MORE Hypocrisy!

Oh and by the way - if if you are totally Galant - you will worry if your KIDS are affected by WAR and FAMINE.

CULT BS CRAP!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit