Papal Bulla - Latest Metal Detecting Find

by cofty 9 Replies latest social physical

• cofty
    cofty

I was out detecting this evening for an hour after work and found this amazing bit of history.

It is a lead seal that originated on a document from Pope Martin V at some time between 1417 and 1431. These official documents were called Papal Bulls and were dispatched to all the parishes in the Medieval empire.

This example has later been made into a spindle whorl which is why it has a hole through the centre. Lead whorls were used before spinning wheels were invented to make yarn of sheep's wool.

The inscription "SPASPE" stands for "Sanctus Paulus Sanctus Petrus" and the two busts are of Paul and Peter.

The reverse has "Martinus PP. V" where PP stands for Papa. It is astonishing to hold such an important object that was lost just a few hundred yards from where I am now and hasn't been seen for 600 years.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Nice find!

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

What's the size?

• cofty
    cofty

On 1 March 1420, Pope Martin V issued a Bull inviting all Christians to unite in a crusade against the Wycliffites, Hussites, and other heretics - Wiki

This appears to be the only Bull he is known for which puts a good date on the object.

Did the Watchtower not claim Jan Huss and John Wycliffe as two of the "anointed"?

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Holy!! What do you do with them? Sell them? Keep them?

I know you have it in your other posts perhaps but tell me, what metal detector do you use? Think I could have luck myself? I live in Mexico...

• cofty
    cofty

@John_mann - it's 35mm diameter.

A split can be seen on the top and bottom edges where the silk thread would have passed through.

• cofty
    cofty

@ILoveTTATT2 - I keep the stuff. So far I haven't sold anything. The landowner has a 50% claim on everything and I have agreed he can put up a display in "the big house".

I use a Garrett AT Pro.

• contramundum
    contramundum

Amazing find

• cofty
    cofty

This image from Google shows how a lead seal would have been used originally

• cofty
    cofty

Correction - PP stands for Pastor Pastorum ("Shepherd of Shepherds")

More info here...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit