"Peaceful Coexistence: Reconciling Nondiscrimination Principles With Civil Liberties

by JHK 4 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• JHK
    JHK

In the tug of war between religious freedom and nondiscrimination rights, the weight seems to be pulling toward the latter.

At least that's the view of 17 religious leaders — including LDS Church Presiding Bishop Gérald Caussé — who addressed their concerns with the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights' recent report in an Oct. 7 letter to President Barack Obama, House Speaker Paul Ryan and Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch.

The report, titled "Peaceful Coexistence: Reconciling Nondiscrimination Principles With Civil Liberties," comes down squarely on the side of civil liberties for individuals, the letter says, and "stigmatizes tens of millions of religious Americans, their communities, and their faith-based institutions, and threatens the religious freedom of all our citizens."

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4461526-155/mormon-church-others-urge-obama-to

• Zoos
    Zoos
    ... comes down squarely on the side of civil liberties for individuals [and] stigmatizes tens of millions of religious Americans, their communities, and their faith-based institutions, and threatens the religious freedom of all our citizens.

Works for me.

• DJS
    DJS

If the shoe fits . . . .

The rebuttal statement by Castro is gold - one of the best summaries of the issue I've read. Pity those poor, poor put upon, discriminated against, x-tians.

• Wayward
    Wayward

I wonder if Christians would defend 'religious liberty' if it was a Jewish deli owner refusing to serve Christians because Christianity is an apostasy that goes against his/her beliefs.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Oh, yeah...

...giving gays and lesbians civil rights definitely infringes on the religious rights of people (to scorn and vilify them).

I don't dare eyeroll... I'd go blind. :smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit