Are There Many JWs That Have Actually Left?

by minimus 25 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

It seems that most people who have been Witnesses That I've known in the last 20 years are still JWs. They may not be as zealous as before but they still remain as Jehovah's Witnesses.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Yes, most of our JW family and past friends are still in. What we do see more and more of are the older ones we knew are beginning to die. The future problem for WT, we do not see one for one replacements for the ones who have passed. We also noticed entire families are no longer all in. Many families we know have at least 1 or 2 family members that no longer go.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS:

So, no more little red dot?

I think the 1995 changed teaching on Generation caused many people to leave the Witnesses. I know because I'm one of them.

A lot of people didn't leave right away but maybe took several years like I did. So, a decade or so later it would be obvious.

I believe this loss of people was the reason studies with "homeless" types were started. This was to fill the empty seats in the halls. Oh, I know many old timers also passed away or people moved but that didn't account for all the people gone.

Maybe this isn't as obvious where you live and maybe that's why it seems to you that all the JWs you knew are still there.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think many have left since 1995, but it all goes back to 1975. When Armageddon did not come (as promised or prophesied) in 1975, everyone noticed, but concluded that things could be "off" a little, ie, how long before Eve was created, or before Eve sinned, etc. But then when WTS revised the whole damn doctrine in 1995 it was clear that even THEY knew it was all wrong.

I actually talked myself through all the 1995 changes with stacks of references from WT Bound Volumes, etc (all WT publications). I know, DUMB.

Then when the Overlap BS hit in 2008 (or so) it was even more evidence that WTS was totally off track.

I can't believe that everyone hasn't bailed out by now.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

A lot stay in for the social club and to keep their family.

• blondie
    blondie

I think many are afraid of being df'd or viewed as da'ing themselves. Many jws cherry pick what they believe or have their own version of what the doctrine means. Some try to cover all the bases. Some may feel that can jump back in at the sign of the end.

I'm officially inactive, but I don't believe their doctrines any more. But I don't advertise it or try to reverse convert.

• nevermind
    nevermind
    It seems that most people who have been Witnesses That I've known in the last 20 years are still JWs. They may not be as zealous as before but they still remain as Jehovah's Witnesses.

These JWs are probably old timers who think they've invested way too much of their lives in this club to leave, or because of fear of being shunned by family and friends (all the people they ever knew), or a combination of both. It's easier for younger JWs to leave and press the restart button on their lives.

I bet you though, that if the shunning policy stopped being practiced, half the Kingdom Halls would be empty by tomorrow. I read somewhere that an elder had estimated if the shunning policy was terminated, a quarter of his congregation would leave by tomorrow immediately followed by another quarter. The WTS leaders are wicked intelligent to institute this shunning policy. Terrible wicked.

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

In the congregation I go to nearly everyone is over 40 (and most are older). Not one of them seems particularly zealous, though they do still go out for field service. Most of the young people in my former congregation were apathetic enough even back then, so I can only imagine what they must be like now.

1914 was a hundred and two years ago and if anything the world has gotten a little better since then. What more needs to be said?

• minimus
    minimus

My red dot vanished

• LV101
    LV101

It seems that way, Minimus. I doubt they'd be selling off and combining halls if they were busting at the seams but the same followers seem to be chained to the cult.

I think people want the warm fuzzy feeling of belonging to something in life and this is about all the social structure they have. They probably feel their bros/sisters are at least trying - I used to get so sick of hearing that line from witnesses how at least the witnesses are trying to -- whatever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit