Big Failings For Survivors Even After The ARC.

by Lost in the fog 2 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

National Redress Scheme: Only 51 Australian child sex abuse survivors paid.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2019/02/07/national-redress-scheme-child-sex-abuse/

• Giordano
    Giordano

"The royal commission recommended putting equal weight on the seriousness of abuse and its impact.

Jehovah’s Witnesses abuse survivor Sarah Blaire, an alias, said she found staff working on the National Redress Scheme helpful.

But she has to wait, because the church has not signed up.

“Knowing Jehovah’s Witnesses as a whole, knowing their culture, knowing their general attitudes all my life, I can’t see them ever joining up willingly or voluntarily,” Ms Blaire told The New Daily.

Most of all, Ms Blaire wants Jehovah’s Witnesses to apologise and improve their processes.

“I don’t really care about monetary compensation. It’s more upsetting to me that, No.1, they haven’t apologised to past victims.

“They haven’t acknowledged them, and they haven’t met the recommendations so as to make themselves a safer institution.”

The church still enforces the “two-witness rule”, requiring survivors to have another witness to establish truth.

Most of all, Ms Blaire wants Jehovah’s Witnesses to apologise and improve their processes.

“I don’t really care about monetary compensation. It’s more upsetting to me that, No.1, they haven’t apologised to past victims.

“They haven’t acknowledged them, and they haven’t met the recommendations so as to make themselves a safer institution.”

The church still enforces the “two-witness rule”, requiring survivors to have another witness to establish truth.

Knowmore, which offers free legal advice to survivors for the scheme, said 19 per cent of its cases were prioritised because the survivor was unwell or elderly, aged 76 and over, or 56 for Indigenous Australians.

The royal commission said 14.3 per cent of the survivors they heard from were Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.

Indigenous children are significantly over represented in out-of-home care and youth detention, and remain at the greatest risk.

An estimated 60,000 victims are eligible for a payout worth an estimated $3.8 billion. About 955 victims are from government institutions."

• jwleaks
    jwleaks
    Great article. Thanks for the link.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit