spontaneous kindnesses

by zeb 6 Replies latest jw friends

• zeb
    zeb

The Helper’s High

When people help others, it makes them feel good. We get what researchers call a “helpers high,” or a profound sense of well-being and optimism associated with helping.

And the impact goes further than just the emotional. A growing body of evidence is proving that it can help the physical as well.

Get this: The Corporation for National Service, using health and volunteering data from the U.S. Census Bureau and the Center for Disease Control, found that states with a high volunteer rate also had lower rates of heart disease.1

Another study, this one published in the Journal of Health Psychology, looked at over 2,000 adults. Researchers found that after adjusting for differences in socioeconomic status, prior health status, smoking, social support and physical activity, volunteerism decreased death rates by over 44 percent.

Pretty neat, huh?

It’s Good to be Good

Do good and feel good makes a healthier body.

Anger and negative emotions are bad for the body, so it makes sense that the opposite would hold true. One of the healthiest things you can do is to step back from self-preoccupation and self-worry. And there’s no easier way to do this than by focusing your attention on helping others.

This transformation seems to promote emotional and physical well-being and, odds are, will add years to your life.

So how can you jump on the giving bandwagon? Here are some random acts of kindness you can carry out:

• Leave a bouquet of flowers on a neighbor’s doorstep.
    • Have your kids write a thank you card to drop off at your local police or fire station.
    • Shovel a neighbor’s driveway. (It’s good exercise!)
    • Put a lottery ticket underneath someone’s windshield wiper.
    • Leave a note for a coworker that reads, “Have a nice day!”
    • Open the phone book, pick a name, and send a “Be happy!” card anonymously.
    • Organize a charity day at work and encourage employees to bring nonperishable food items to donate.
    • Hold an umbrella for shoppers on the way to their cars on a rainy day.
    • Pay a compliment to a stranger on the street.
    • After you’re done reading a newspaper, offer it to someone else. It’s good for the environment as well.
    • Volunteer to read to children at a local hospital.
    • Stop by a nursing home, and ask the staff which resident hasn’t gotten a visit in awhile. Spend some time with him or her.
    • Roll a neighbor’s garbage cans up to his house after the trash has been picked up.
    • Give another driver your parking spot in a crowded lot.
    • Let someone go in front of you on line at the food store – even if she has more groceries than you.
    • Leave coupons you’re not using tucked under the product at the grocery store.

Do you have any ideas for random acts of kindness? Share them here

I received the above by email this eve. As best as I can cut and past here is the most part of it.

cheers to all.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Thank you for this. Hopefully it bring some more goodness to all of us.

• stillin
    stillin

One of my favorite sayings is, "virtue is its' own reward."

Even if virtue is a trait acquired through evolution (being kind to one another as a species can be seen as a survival factor) I think of it as much more than that.

Thanks for sharing that, Zeb.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I like to play the "Aldi grocery cart/buggy game" Especially when I get to start it. At the store you put in a quarter for a buggy, then I find a person walking in when I am done with it and hand it to them, refusing the payment of the quarter and say , "just pass it on"

• snowbird
    snowbird

Smile at and compliment a teenager on something.

The other day, I told one young man how much I liked his braids - he seemed to stand up straighter.

Sylvia

• Heaven
    Heaven

(((( zeb ))))

Giving you a cyberhug. How have you been? Hope things are good.

This is an excellent article, thank you for sharing it.

I do little things like keep the weeds dug between me and my neighbour's places, cut and trim the grass in that area. I take care of their flowers and pick up their paper when they are away. I take little gifts to my friends places like food and candies. This weekend will be chocolate eggs. My one friend has a cat who gets little toys from me. They call me their cat's drug dealer as the toys often have catnip in them. :0)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Open the door at the bank for the old lady with the walker, instead of tripping her..

They like that..

Image result for Old woman thumbs up

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit