Oh dear ,did I touch your belief system?

by wozza 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• wozza
    wozza

Just been thinking about things that happened when I was in the JWs that made me realise that I was waking up .

Bit of history first ,My mother brought me up as a mormon from the age of about 4 till about 12 ,saw alot of things that even puzzled me as a kid and knew the LDS church could not be right (like pressuring my mother to pay the 10 percent tithe that she had accrued while dad was out of work for three months with no income}.

One bug that I had then was that they treated "negro" people differently,coul'dnt marry whites at the temple, hold the ministry etc the prophets back then taught this and changed some things later.

years later when I became a witness I sometimes would talk about this with other JWs and point out that the prophets had changed their teachings and asked the question "so who got the teaching wrong , the prophets or god?"

It was amazing to see their faces ,always seemed to be the same ,it was as though they realised that this could be the same situation in the the "truth" and did'nt want to think about it ,and really with all the changes in recent years ,this question should be asked bt JWs today to test their belief system which is based on a group of men which changes all the time over the years and so does their teachings.

Wish the internet and information had been around when I was becoming a JW I probably would have put it to good use and never become a JW ,but for those today ,use it well and your critical thinking and the road away from mens teaching will be swift.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The answer I always got was that it was the result of God dealing with "imperfect men". DUH?

Guess he should have had "the rocks cry out".

They couldn't have screwed up His message to mankind any more than did the imperfect men.

Doc

• wozza
    wozza

Thanks DOC heard that one too ,the trouble is did god then give these bumblers the power to cut off certain ones ? Does'nt seem reasonable that god would allow this and yet forgive them for getting doctrine wrong .

• millie210
    millie210

Funny, when I was "in" I always thought that certain Mormon beliefs were so ludicrous how could they be taken seriously by Mormons?

Now that I have removed myself from the JWs, I see the ridiculousness of so much and ask myself that same question about them!

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

It wasn't until that I left the JWs that I started looking into and making comparisons to the LDS. I just amazes me how 2 organizations can be so far apart theologically and doctrinally and yet in the way they function the way they are structured are almost identical. Google will set you free my friend.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

JWs like to display their belief system in public when common decency demands that it should really be covered up.

Then they don't like it when other people try to 'touch' it.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu
    wozza
    ... and really with all the changes in recent years ,this question should be asked bt JWs today to test their belief system which is based on a group of men which changes all the time over the years and so does their teachings.

For a still in JW the teachings never changed.
    They hate the word "change" in this context.

JW Answer: ALL core teachings are still the same. And for some small things - there was brighter light (NOT NEW light) . The light always geht brighter and brighter and this is consistent with the bible.

You can't argue with a (still in) witness - that's my experience with my parents.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Wozza,

Yours has got to be THE BEST subject line of the year!

"Oh dear ,did I touch your belief system?" Well done!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit