Pro-Blood Transfusion Directives for the Ex-JW

by Cimarrona 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

  • Cimarrona

    Hey everyone, I have a question... all of my family members are Jehovah's witnesses, save my son and me. If something were to happen to me and I lost consciousness, my parents would be the best of kin called on to make medical decisions. How do I ensure that if a transfusion is needed, hospital/doctors are clear that I do indeed want a transfusion and that my parents cannot override that decision? What legal whatevers would I need??? I'd never thought about this until reading a post about transfusions a few minutes ago. I'm not going to let them kill me or take me away from my child.

  • Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

    Hey hon, I'd have a word with your GP and ask him what steps you'll need to take so that your hospital record is strictly non-negotiable as pro-transfusions. I'd almost forgotten all about this since fading but when recently in the ER for my son (minor fracture), they checked if all of my details are up to date. They asked about address, phone number... and then religion.

    "Jehovah's Witness?" the registrar at the front desk asked.

    "NO!" I practically exploded. "Please take that off my son's files. He is open to transfusions should he ever require one. Please mark us with no particular religion."

    And just like that, the records were amended.

    Good luck!

  • moreconfusedthanever

    Here in Australia we have what are called Advance Health Care Directives. A legal document where you put in writing what you do and what you do not want. Perhaps there is something like that available where you are?

  • OrphanCrow

    Cimarrona, it's called "next of kin" and the next of kin would only be involved if you were unable to communicate.

    With that said - do talk to your medical provider and make sure that your and your son's care details that you will accept all blood products.

    Depending on where you live, becoming a blood donor might solve some of your problems. In some places, a person can get a blood donor card to carry - that donor card would identify you right away as accepting blood and not only that, it types your blood too!

  • lastmanstanding

    Put your precise thought in writing, and make mention of your past with Jehovah’s Witnesses and your current family situation with Jehovah’s Witnesses and then spell out clearly that you do not adhere to what Jehovah Witnesses and Watchtower believe and teach and that you want Hospital to save your life including blood transfusions.

    Go before your lawyer and sign it as part of your Living Will. Make sure his witness is present and also signs it. It is then part of your will.

    Take a copy to your family doctor and have him keep a copy and have it scanned and included in your online medical files.

Share this