How some Elders responded to Ray Franz DFing

by James Jack 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• James Jack
    James Jack

I gave a several talks in Gadsden Alabama USA during the 90's. Got to eat and chat with several elders who were in the know such as : Felix Parnell, Willie Anderson, Bobby Rogers, Earl Parnell, Theotis French, and Rob Dibble. All said they struggled with the decision of his DFing. "Ray Franz was a great person, but you can't set your own rules, and go against the Faithful Slave! As an Elder, you must be loyal to the Organization that Jehovah is using and not question the direction that the Faithful gives."

That is the collective thinking I got from these individuals. I never gave it much thought at the time because I was totally in, very active Elder and Regular Pioneer, totally consumed with towing the company line and I didn't want to hear anything negative about the Organization. Knowing what I know now, the conversation would have gone in a different direction.

One funny note I recall is a conversation with Annabel Anderson(Willie's wife). She told me about a Congregation picnic where Ray Franz attended and another publisher introduced her inactive husband who was wearing a beard. Annabel asked Ray privately what he thought about the man's beard, and Ray said :"I like it and see nothing wrong with!".

Annabel told me,"From that point on, I knew there was something wrong with him and it would be a matter of time before Jehovah will deal with him."

I wonder what she thinks now about beards from the 2016 Sept. WT?

Felix, Earl and Willie are dead now. I still see the others from time to time. Maybe I might get a chance to ask some better questions if given the opportunity.

• TTATT_Paladin
    TTATT_Paladin

Ray was one of the original TTATT Paladins.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

I shudder to imagine a "paradise" where a man is dealt with harshly and thrown to the wolves for wearing a beard.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"...you can't set your own rules, and go against the Faithful Slave!"

That is ironic in view of the fact that Raymond Franz was part of the "Faithful Slave" and got in trouble simply because he abstained from - not went against - votes on doctrinal matters.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Adam - bearded

Enoch - bearded

Moses - bearded

Abraham - bearded

12 Disciples - bearded

Jesus - bearded

C.T. Russell - bearded

Leviticus 19:27: “‘You must not shave* the hair on the side of your head* or disfigure the edges of your beard.+

Are we missing something here? If anything, if they want to be so hardcore to the rules they should have a rule for NOT have a beard.

• blondie
    blondie

To be more accurate, the elders said Ray associated himself having a meal with his boss Peter Gregerson who had disassociated himself. Both their wives were there too but were not disfellowshipped for the same thing socializing with a disassociated jw. It was a change in the views about disassociation.

On March 18, 1981 Franz' employer in Alabama submitted a letter of disassociation from Jehovah's Witnesses. The September 15, 1981 issue of The Watchtower announced a change of policy on disassociation, directing that those who formally withdrew from the religion were to be shunned by Witnesses in the same manner as those who have been disfellowshipped.[25] Franz, who continued to socialize with his employer, was summoned to a judicial hearing on November 25 and disfellowshipped for disobeying the edict.[2][26][27]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Franz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit