Seeking support ... Where can a Christian go

by Sevan 83 Replies latest jw friends

• Sevan
    Sevan

DJS, I do not hold to the Jehovah's Witness belief that billions of people are going to be destroyed, the vast majority of the world population. I have always had difficulty with that concept, even as a Jehovah's Witness.

The Bible says that God does not desire any to be destroyed. That says to me that he wants people to live and loves them. How he intends to accomplish this, I do not know. Still I think he has the right to do with his creation whatever he sees fit. Whether that means life or death for me or anyone else I leave up to God.

I like to think that there is hope for life beyond the short life we have on this earth. I personally have been blessed in many ways in my life, even though I have had much difficulty as well. Others have not been so lucky. Simply by accident of their birth, little children have starved to death, been tortured, beaten and raped to death. This breaks my heart beyond measure. One of the things that keeps me going on is the hope that these little children will get the chance to live again and be truly loved. I want them to know that they are loved and that I already love them. There are many others of all ages that have suffered horribly in life. I want to believe that their will be justice, love and happiness for them. I think the pain of human and animal suffering would be impossible for me to bear without this hope.

As for LGBT ex-JWs, I would like to hear more from them and their experiences. I read some of the experiences of gay ex-JWs on jwfacts.com and my heart was very touched from their experiences. It is very helpful to hear these experiences because it shows the world from a very different prospective and helps instill compassion and understanding. I never knew that gay JWs struggled with feelings of lack of acceptance or feeling that God didn't love them before I read those accounts. I always thought that God loved them even more because of the faith and sacrifice necessary to remain celibate for Him. The idea that God doesn't love you immensely just because you are gay, bi, trans or what have you, I think that is a human induced thought. I think God is much more understanding than we give him credit for.

Personally, I find the concept of someone having to live life without a life-partner difficult, but not impossible. Why the Bible condemns homosexual behavior when homosexuals are incapable of changing their sexuality, I do not know. I am still trying to understand this myself. However, I do not feel that I have the right to judge God. He is our Creator and as such has the right to define the rules. He knows many things that we do not and must therefore have reasons for everything that we may not be privy to.

As far as feeling that you aren't a good enough person, that God is disappointed in you, that you aren't doing enough for God, etc, etc, this is basically what the JW cult drills in everyone's heads constantly and incessantly. I have felt inadequate and not good enough for the entire time that I've been a Witness. That is a heavy weight to bear and I think one of the reasons that so many JWs are depressed. That is one of the reasons that I am shying away from organized religion as a whole and just trying to find God and Christ for myself.

If you want to continue to both look down on me and talk down to me for my faith, that is your cross to bear. I have to do what my conscience tells me I ought to.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

I always get to these threads as they are winding down, but I'll throw my threepence into the discussion.

Your beliefs are your beliefs and we can respect that. I don't think anyone demands anyone to change their beliefs on here. We just simply demand each other to look at the evidence as objectively as possible and make educated decisions based on that evidence.

I come here mostly to vent about the harmful things that JWs and religion in general are doing to mankind. I come here to provide encouragement and share my personal experiences on how I'm overcoming the Watchtower cult. I don't come here to support beliefs based on faith as I see no inherent or intrinsic value in faith.

It amazes me how anyone can look at the natural world around us, observe how every species is dependent on killing another species to survive (survival of the fittest), the earthquakes, tornadoes, typhoons, tsunamis, disease carrying bugs, viruses and killer bacterias and amoebas, the mass extinctions of the ancient past AND STILL SEE A LOVING CREATOR despite all of that. That is delusion at its very essence.

• cofty
    cofty
    He knows many things that we do not and must therefore have reasons for everything that we may not be privy to. - Sevan

Don't you see what you are doing? You have created a magic get-out clause that makes all of your beliefs perfectly safe from evidence to the contrary.

No matter what somebody might say about god's ethics or the errors in the bible or theodicy or any other thing you only have to reply that god is true because of "reasons".

Is this a reliable way to discover what is true?

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

However, I do not feel that I have the right to judge God. He is our Creator and as such has the right to define the rules. He knows many things that we do not and must therefore have reasons for everything that we may not be privy to.

What riles me is that people like you write this conjecture as if it is established fact just as the sun is hot and the ice caps are cold. That arrogance is such a turn off for me to endeavor to be nice to believers. If God has his reasons for not only allowing, but designing events that have led to the death of millions of innocent children, why is it that he cannot clearly state what is reasons are for doing so are? Creationists always fall back to their last defense: God has his unknowable, logical reasons for why all these natural, horrific disasters occur. Think about that for a moment. If god is god, wouldn't he be able to clearly explain why he allows for and EVEN CAUSES these things to happen?

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

4 square non denominational church is where I would go.

• atomant
    atomant
    Hello sevan you posted earlier on in this thread ( I also have had some very real supernatural experiences, some that also had witnesses, that absolutely cannot be explained scientifically or by the laws of physics. All these things come together as a whole to inform a belief in God that cannot be denied.)lm really intrigued to know what it is that you experienced .By the way lm a believer as well.cheers.
  • Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

@Sevan: I sure did think you received a great deal of respect and caring support when you first posted on this forum.

Anyway, just wanted to say, I'm a believer in doing what's right just because it's the right thing to do. I spent many years worrying about The Creator and The Creator's opinion of me and how I lived my life. Trying to avoid hurting The Creator's feelings every minute of the day. When I finally broke free of the mentally-controlling cult of the WT org it became clear as day, that wasting my time worrying about some guy in the sky had paralyzed my ability to make decisions and just plain think logically and reasonably.

I need to worry about my own opinions - life is much improved that way. My opinion is, it doesn't matter if there is A Creator or not. I can't do anything about it either way.

Marina

• DJS
    DJS

Thanks Cofty. The post was a continuation of the one before it. I left off the question asking if this was her current belief about LGBT, which I asked about the billions about to be slaughtered in Rev. Mea culpa.

Sevan states she is evaluating her beliefs. If she's a bible believing xtian those are her beliefs, unless she's resorting to cherry picking.

I'm just trying to clarify the full extent of the groups she believes should be destroyed. There is nothing sweet or benign about those beliefs, regardless of how it is spun or sugar coated.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

oh good grief. Get over yourself DJS.

• Sevan
    Sevan

DJS, what you don't seem to understand is that there is a difference between personally believing in God and in judging others.

I don't personally believe any groups should be destroyed because it is not my place as a simple human to judge who should be destroyed or not.

I do believe God has that right, even if that includes my own destruction. My existence is at His pleasure and he does not owe me eternal life. God will do what he will regardless of my personal opinion anyway.

I don't necessarily believe that our interpretation of the Bible is entirely correct. For example, I think Armageddon may in fact be a very different event than I've been taught to believe it is all these years. I am just beginning to investigate these ideas. Just because I am grappling with Scripture and trying to understand and reconcile the Bible does not mean I am cherry picking. It just means that I am trying to understand the Bible from a different perspective after being indoctrinated first by the religion of my birth and second by the JWs for my entire life. I don't know completely what all I believe at this point outside of Christ and that is what I am trying to figure out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit